Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Refused scan for lump because GP over quota for referrals?!

(24 Posts)
namealreadytaken Fri 05-Jul-13 13:29:42

Hello, my eldest DD has had a lump in her breast for a couple of months & also one under her chin, however this can only be felt when she holds her head at a certain angle. Last week she finally (after much nagging from me) went to see a doctor.
Doctor said she didn't think it was anything to worry about but she wanted DD to have a scan just to make sure.
DD was waiting to hear when her appointment would be when GP Surgery phoned back and said she had to attend back at the surgery this morning to have lumps checked.
Doctor this morning said she wouldn't be having a scan as they are only allowed to make so many referrals and DDs referral has been refused due to her age - 21?!?!
The doctor examined her and said it was nothing to worry about, though DD knows he didn't even feel the lump in under her chin as her head wasn't at the correct angle.
So, we're not really sure what to do now, does she just accept this second doctors word, does she get a second opinion or what?

Finallygotaroundtoit Fri 05-Jul-13 13:34:14

Not sure. Go back to see first doc?
Perhaps offer to pay for a private scan for reassurance?

cocolepew Fri 05-Jul-13 13:38:41

That is shocking! I would go and kick up merry hell. Refusing a woman a scan when she had a lump in her breast? Unbelievable.
Do you have a well woman clinic near you?

MaryAnnSingleton Fri 05-Jul-13 13:48:12

this can't be right- young women do get breast cancer (and I do hope it's not the case for your dd of course) Demand that she be referred to a breast clinic.

namealreadytaken Fri 05-Jul-13 13:51:51

Not sure what you need to do to go private, do you say to the doctor "we'll pay for it" or do you have to find somewhere to go and have it done?

DD doesn't live at home, so not sure about a well woman clinic I'll have to google it - thanks.

namealreadytaken Fri 05-Jul-13 13:53:36

I didn't think it was right either, I felt sure DD had maybe misunderstood at first but she assures me this is what she was told.

MaryAnnSingleton Fri 05-Jul-13 14:55:43

I am not sure whether you approach a cliic directly,or need to ask to be referred - tell you what- nip to tamoxifen thread to ask as several of the ladies there have had private consultations... will link to it...
here

Souper Fri 05-Jul-13 15:00:13

You need a referral from your GP to go privately. Just ring up and ask them write you a letter. Then you google where you want to go, make yourself an appointment, and take the GP letter along with you to the appt. Easy.

malteserzz Fri 05-Jul-13 15:05:56

I went private just for the initial diagnosis didn't even get a gp letter just rang a private hospital and got in the same evening as I'd seen the gp. Warning though mammogram, ultrasound,consultation and biopsy cost £1000 !
You shouldn't have to do that though I only did because I couldn't face the 2 week wait

cocolepew Fri 05-Jul-13 15:28:26

You don't always need a gps letter, I have referred myself before. A private clinic near me will do a biopsy on breast lump and give you the results in around an hour.

namealreadytaken Fri 05-Jul-13 15:32:04

£1000!!! Well neither of us have the money for thathmm I'm going to encourage her to make another appointment with the first GP & go with her.

ukatlast Sat 06-Jul-13 17:32:16

I'd be leaking that to the local press.....used all their quota...outrageous.
Might be more effective to complain through the appropriate channels though including copying in your MP.

tribpot Sat 06-Jul-13 17:46:16

I think it's more likely the age than some kind of quota, to be honest - she may not fit the parameters for a referral given she is so young. That said, I don't believe this is the correct way of handling a breast lump, even in a young woman. Patient.co.uk suggests she should at minimum have been asked to go for a second appointment after her next period, and the article for healthcare professionals gives the NICE guidelines, which recommends a routine referral for women aged under 30 with a breast lump. This GP is not acting in accordance with NICE guidelines.

It was the clinical opinion of the first GP that your dd needed a scan. The second GP has offered no clinical reason why this is not the case. I would give the practice the opportunity (!) to correct this mistake, and then raise merry hell with the CCG. You can find hers with a postcode search here.

ChestyNut Sun 07-Jul-13 15:28:16

Do not accept that.

As said up thread under 30s do get breast cancer ( although your DFs hopefully isn't)

I have heard of other stories of under 30s having issues with GPs regarding this.

TinyDiamond Sun 07-Jul-13 16:20:53

hi there, I'm going through the same thing at the mo. I'm 25. I have two lumps in my right breast that gp thinks is glandular tissue. I haven't been referred just asked to come back for another examination after next period

AlwaysWashing Sun 07-Jul-13 16:24:14

Kick up a massive, unladylike like stink! How day your daughter be treated like a number on a quota list.
I sincerely hope that it's nothing at all but it certainly wouldn't be a waste if time or resources to damn well check.
This has made me MAD.

worley Sun 07-Jul-13 16:35:34

All breast lumps get a two week wait referral regardless of age. She is too young to have a mammogram but a scan will be fine. Unless its felt the lump in not breast related. Go back to a different dr or nurse practitioner..

Wolfcub Sun 07-Jul-13 16:49:36

I was referred to the hospital at 22 due to a lump and a secondary indicator, all was fine but I'd go back and push for a referral if I was your dd.

Souper Sun 07-Jul-13 17:01:10

Actually, not all breast lumps get a two week wait referral. In a woman under 25 a mobile, non-suspicious lump (and no family history) can be referred to the breast clinic but in a non-urgent manner. I.e. not two week wait.

Souper Sun 07-Jul-13 17:02:18

Actually, not all breast lumps get a two week wait referral. In a woman under 25 a mobile, non-suspicious lump (and no family history) can be referred to the breast clinic but in a non-urgent manner. I.e. not two week wait.

LoveBeingUpAt4InTheMorning Sun 07-Jul-13 17:03:09

Yell her to call and speak to the practice manager and express her concer that her health is being compromised due to targets.

tribpot Sun 07-Jul-13 18:22:53

I would avoid a discussion about quotas unless the practice manager actually confirms that is the reason for the refusal to refer (which I would be very surprised at). Too easy for the practice to deny and then you're wasting time on the immediate issue, which is that she does need to be referred, possibly after re-examination as is the case with TinyDiamond.

worley Sun 07-Jul-13 21:29:06

Maybe it's just our hospital then but all of our referrals are put on a 2 week wait. Mobile or not. Even with pain it's still 2 ww.

Footle Sun 07-Jul-13 21:37:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now