Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Can you get SPD without being pregnant?

(13 Posts)
babyonboard Sun 04-Jun-06 16:41:18

Strange question sorry..but hopefully someone can tell me.

I had crippling spd when pregnant with ds which started at about 3 months. It dissapeared almost immediatly after the birth , which was 6 months ago.

I've had the exact same pains for the last few days, and can't imagine why. I haven't injured or strained anything. Itis definitly the exact same thing..

BettySpaghetti Sun 04-Jun-06 16:48:13

Hi there
I had SPD during my second pregnancy. As far as I know theres a chemical in your body during pregnancy that causes the ligaments to soften in preparation for the birth. In the case of SPD the ligaments over-soften which is what causes the problem.

I was told it can take up to a year after the birth for everything to return to normal so maybe your body just hasn't returned to normal yet. You wouldn't necessarily be aware of "pulling/straining" anything but maybe just a sudden or awkward move has caused it to hurt again??

motherinferior Sun 04-Jun-06 16:49:18

You've probably got something lingering on, and/or have strained something that is still feeling a touch delicate. Mine took longer to clear up second time round than yours, but then came back with a vengeance when my then toddler slammed herself at my pelvis.

babyonboard Sun 04-Jun-06 16:51:16

Really, thats interesting! I had assumed as it had totally gone then it wouldn't come back.

Can't think of anything I've done that might have inflamed it, but maybe I did it in my sleep..

Spagblog Sun 04-Jun-06 16:54:56

I had SPD with both pgs and find that it gets worse around my period - must be hormonal

motherinferior Sun 04-Jun-06 16:57:22

The chemical that lingers in your body is the hormone relaxin, btw. At least it's more use in your pelvis (during pregnancy) than in other joints - I pulled my knee repeatedly after pregnancy, dammit.

Wrote an article on this once.

Californifrau Sun 04-Jun-06 17:50:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

psychomum5 Sun 04-Jun-06 17:54:06

I have had SPD during pregnancy and altho was successfully treated with physio after, like spagblog I also get the same type of pain during my periods, suggesting that it may be hormaone linked.

babyonboard Sun 04-Jun-06 17:59:47

this is all really interesting..i hadn't realised it could have lasting effects.

I was worried I was pregnant again, as periods have been very erratic and light since the birth (probably my body getting back into swing again)

I'd be really interested to read this article, is it available online anywhere?..I was stunned by how common spd is when i got it..and can't believe i'd never heard of it before.
i had to change g.ps as mine said spd was 'nonesense' ...grr!

BettySpaghetti Sun 04-Jun-06 18:01:31

MotherInferior -I read on another thread somewhere about your article -I'd be really interested to read it if thats possible. Can I find it somewhere? or get a link?
Thanks

BettySpaghetti Sun 04-Jun-06 18:02:17

great minds, BoB!

motherinferior Mon 05-Jun-06 22:06:49

No link, I'm afraid, but I can send it if you want!

BettySpaghetti Tue 06-Jun-06 08:39:23

Yes please -I would be very interested in it. Just like most other peoples experience i found that midwives and GPs knew very little about SPD when I was suffering.

Are you able to CAT?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: