Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

2.4 dd losing hair...am panicking...help!

(14 Posts)
Heathcliffscathy Fri 02-Jun-06 13:34:56

am posting this on behalf of distraught friend.

the little girls' hair has been coming out for 2 months, at first on her mattress and when she brushed her hair, my friend felt it was like animals moulting and was reassured by that.

now it's at the point where it is noticably thin and other people keep remarking on it and lots of people are dismissing it saying is no problem, other people are saying take to doctors now.

friend has looked on internet and can't find anything

otherwise totally healthy.

friend is very worried and doesn't know what to do, anyone have any experience of this please!

x

Bagpuss30 Fri 02-Jun-06 14:06:40

Does the little girl have cradle cap? My dd had this at the age of 2 and because she had proper hair (unlike a smaller baby) she used to get clumps falling out with the cradle cap. I managed to get rid of the cradle cap eventually but her hair was thin for a little while. It has all grown back now . I was just looking at a picture of her taken last year and thought to myself how thin her hair was and how much it has improved. HTH

Murphee Fri 02-Jun-06 14:11:04

I am Sophable's distraught friend. No cradle cap that I'm aware of. DD does hate having hair washed though.

3mum Fri 02-Jun-06 14:17:22

My friends child had this and it was iron deficiency very comoon in young children if they don't eat iron rich foods and drink lots of milk. It cleared up quickly with an iron supplement BUT she was diagnosed by the doctor after a blood test so I think your friend's daughter should go to the docs now.

Securlurking Fri 02-Jun-06 14:23:45

Someone I know has a son who this happens too whenever he is stressed out, it just starts to drop out - but I think it is a bit more dramatic than in your case. I definitly think it is worth talking to the GP. Isn't it also a sign of an under/overacttive thyroid?

Murphee Fri 02-Jun-06 15:15:34

Have an appt for next Wednesday. Thanks for info so far - keep it coming!

Heathcliffscathy Fri 02-Jun-06 15:54:39

bump

BagelBird Fri 02-Jun-06 16:01:21

Tell her to go to her GP to check her over. Might be a simple scalp problem such as cradle cap (hard to see when they are a toddler and have more hair - stops new hair growing and old hair does come out in clumps, my eldest had this as a toddler). If nothing wrong with the scalp they are likely to run precautionary blood tests.

zippitippitoes Fri 02-Jun-06 16:02:19

or this Telogen effluvium: this usually occurs in young infants as a part of the normal process in which mature hair replaces baby hair. It can also occur in older children, usually a few months after an illness, and it is caused by the hair growth cycle being interrupted, with many hairs moving from a growing state to a resting state. As many hairs are shed, you may notice diffuse hair loss and it may seem like all of your child's hair is falling out, but there should be no other signs of infection or inflammation. The hair usually grows back in about 6 months

Murphee Fri 02-Jun-06 18:30:41

Zippitippitoes - sounds interesting, how do you know about this?

Heathcliffscathy Fri 02-Jun-06 18:37:41

bump

zippitippitoes Fri 02-Jun-06 19:26:59

sorry.. I don't know about it but it seems to be what comes up most regularly if you google child hair loss..

Murphee Wed 07-Jun-06 22:37:15

Saw GP today. Referred to paediatrician, hopefully early next week, looks like iron deficiency or thyroid (as you all suggested) OR STRESS due to impending divorce - none appealing but also all fixable. Thank you all for your input. Esp. Sophable. Will keep you posted. X

fitchusa Thu 18-Sep-08 06:22:48

my dd was diagnosed with telogen effluvium. let me know if this is still an option for your dd... if you have any questions...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now