Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

advice on back and leg pain for me please.

(25 Posts)
psychomum5 Thu 01-Jun-06 23:21:27

I am hurting.....

have written on other posts that I was involved in a car accident last week in which car was written off.

I have severe whiplash and muscle spasms thro head down to legs, being managed mostly by very strong pain killers. Have been given a mixture including diazapam (for the spasms), volterol and also co-drydamol.
problem tonight is that since about 5pm I have been in increasing agony with my legs. I have taken 1 volterol, 1 diazapm and 1 co-dydromol. legs are now at crying stage, and everytime i move them they keep 'locking'. I can't put feet flat on floor and am walking on tiptoe.
have been in bed since 9pm with 3 hot water bottles and the pain is getting worse. DH and all kiddies asleep and I don't know what else I can do.

wanting advice if possible please....

psychomum5 Thu 01-Jun-06 23:33:59

<bump>

feeling slightly ever so much desperate

Coolmama Thu 01-Jun-06 23:45:10

Oh - you must be in so much pain and I sympathise - sounds like you need to see an osteopath or chiropractor or someone first thing tomorrow - maybe ease off on the heat as that can sometimes make things worse by bringing blood to the area rather than reducing the inflammation - the only reason I say this is because I have a prolapsed disc and the last thing I would do is use heat - I use an ice pack to soothe when it plays up - however I have no idea what could be the source of your pain - so can't really say if that would help or not -sorry! Hope you manage to get some sleep -

psychomum5 Thu 01-Jun-06 23:49:50

I have an appointment with a physio on monday arranged thro the other guys insurance. Have been advised not to go too soon because of healing issues. mind, that was by the doctor who said use hot water bottle and now i wonder if they are the right route??? i am in so much pain and cant sleep because of it.
also, does anyone know if i can take anymore painkillers at all yet. took the last lot at 9pm, and they not touched it. not wanting to OD on them obviously, but if i could take more then maybe......less pain....

gingernut Thu 01-Jun-06 23:59:00

You should have been given leaflets which say how frequently you can take the painkillers. I think I would ring emergency doctor for advice if I were you. They might say you can take more painkillers. And you could ask them about taking something to knock you out (e.g. drowsy antihistamine like Piriton), but I'm not sure if you can take something like that with the other drugs you have taken so best to check.

And definitely see if you can at least go back to your GP tomorrow as you will be stuck with only emergency cover over weekend.

Hope you can get some sleep.

psychomum5 Fri 02-Jun-06 00:05:35

well the leaflets say 1 tab 3 x day for the volterol and diamapam, 2 tabs for the co-dydromol, but no-one has explained whether they can all be taken at the same time, so for safety i have just done one of each.

will try emrgancy docs for more advice, hadn't thought of that.

do have issues about getting to any docs tomorrow tho as have no transport right now as on too many strong drugs, and no-one to take me either as have five kiddies and none of my friends have big enough cars to fit mine and theirs in (what with it being helf-term...grr!)

and not taxi-ing either as since accident also having panic attacks about even getting in a car with DH, let alone a stranger

and now feeling so cross at myself cos i feel so bloody negitive and that just not me!!!

gingernut Fri 02-Jun-06 00:17:37

Will the GP speak to you over the phone tomorrow? He/she may be able to prescribe some different painkillers (although I'm not sure there is anything better) and then maybe someone could pick up the prescription for you.

Not surprised you're feeling negative - being in a lot of pain and unable to sleep . Hope things improve soon.

psychomum5 Fri 02-Jun-06 00:23:17

might try that gingernut, about the docs tomorrow.

can't do anything else tonight now tho as am up to my quota on what I can take.

am hoping there isn't other damage tho that the hospital may have missed now. hoping it just extra bruising coming out. not that that helps the pain right now tho.....

oooh, hurty hurty

psychomum5 Fri 02-Jun-06 01:14:21

was just sat here thinking that all pain had gone, only to discover i actually now lost all feeling in one leg. guess thats what comes of curling up in front of PC at 1 in the morning!!. at least it 'knid of' helped the pain..<ironic lol>

now stuck here as definately unable to walk!!!

Avalon Fri 02-Jun-06 01:35:15

Ring GP first thing in the morning and request a home visit - make sure you mention how much pain/lack of movement you have.

Hope it eases for you soon.

psychomum5 Fri 02-Jun-06 01:36:46

truly hoping they will do home visit. keep fingers crossed

Avalon Fri 02-Jun-06 01:37:43

Will do!

gingernut Fri 02-Jun-06 10:21:26

How are you today psychomum?

psychomum5 Fri 02-Jun-06 10:22:38

didn't get to bed till gone 2am, and that was only after taking more pills altho not meant to

was desperate tho.....

psychomum5 Fri 02-Jun-06 10:23:48

now just had telephone appointmant with doctor as not able to get there and he now sending a script for some tab that can't remeber name of but tis basically pethidine!

psychomum5 Fri 02-Jun-06 10:25:14

soo......fingers crossed i get some releif

at having to take something so strong tho, specially while in charge of 5 livley stir crazy kiddies....

flame is on her way over tho to help, thankgod

psychomum5 Fri 02-Jun-06 10:25:42

thankyou for asking by the way

gingernut Fri 02-Jun-06 10:25:46

Well, that's good that you managed to speak to him. I was thinking you need some pethidine.

psychomum5 Fri 02-Jun-06 10:27:13

and also got to get to docs next week as soon as kiddies are back at school to reasess(?) me and make sure that it is 'just' bruising coming out and not something sinister that they may have missed at A&E

psychomum5 Fri 02-Jun-06 10:28:18

have been told that I am never to drive on these tabs tho. not that I actually can and would even think of it, but he has said!!!!

gingernut Fri 02-Jun-06 11:07:52

No, I wouldn't! Diazepam and pethidine certainly likely to make you drowsy.

Sounds awful but at least you are being seen again next week. Hope the pethidine gives you some relief.

psychomum5 Fri 02-Jun-06 11:12:17

so so hope so. was even getting to thinking about a 'sticking pins in myself' stage last night in the hope of distracting myself from the leg pain. !!!

psychomum5 Fri 02-Jun-06 17:34:49

Now on pethidine and all nice and floaty

Piffle Fri 02-Jun-06 17:36:38

Sounds like a possible nerve compression too psychomum?
Sounds awful

Avalon Fri 02-Jun-06 21:05:05

Nice and floaty, eh? Sounds good!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: