Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

milk/dairy intolerance after Tummy Bug

(8 Posts)
mairimac Thu 01-Jun-06 18:56:12

My ds had a tummy bug a few weeks back and developed an allergy/intolerance to dairy/milk. Does anyone know how long these intolerances can last, how long I should wait to re-introduce milk and how slowly should I be doing it?
Thanks

threebob Thu 01-Jun-06 19:25:58

Give him probiotics to build up his bacteria in the gut. The powder not the milk based drinks.

Different people take different times to produce the enzyme, so it's hard to say, but cheese and yoghurt will probably be tolerated before straight milk. I never have enough lactase to cope with milk.

CADS Thu 01-Jun-06 19:29:11

I have read that temporary lactose intolerance can usually occur after tummy bugs & antibiotics. It usually clears up afer 2-4wks, but each child is different. How old is your lo?

Things like hard cheese (cheddar)and yoghurt are naturally low in lactose and can usually be toleranted affairly well. Use bio-live yoghurt.

Have you considered using a probiotic, Solgar do a good one for infants & children.

CADS Thu 01-Jun-06 19:29:57

sorry x post

mairimac Fri 02-Jun-06 09:20:50

yes am using solgar's probiotic powder in his soy formula in the morning. He's 8 mo old and been on the soya for 3 weeks now. So don't know when to try other stuff.

CADS Fri 02-Jun-06 09:47:10

Maybe try him on a small amount of natural bio-live yoghurt with a little fruit to flavour, over the weekend and see how he reacts. What are his symptoms? Does he get running poo when he has dairy? Or just tummy ache and gas?

I think the best thing to do when reintroducing a food is to offer a teaspoon the first day, if there is not reaction, double it the next day etc, for a week and see what happens. If he reacts stop it immediately and wait a while (maybe 2 weeks).

threebob Fri 02-Jun-06 19:48:25

Is the soy milk warm - because I think that will kill the bacteria!

Spongebob Fri 02-Jun-06 20:02:26

The exact same thing happened to my DS when he was 12 months old. He is only just starting to tolerate cows milk now in small quantities. Am mixing it with formula atm and using semi-skimmed instead of full fat and so far (after one week) all seems well...he's 2 now btw.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: