Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Penicillin - reaction to ???

(15 Posts)
poppiesinaline Thu 01-Jun-06 10:32:38

Just been to GP. Got tonsilitis AGAIN! GP gave me Penicillin as she normally does when I get this. Just took my first dose. 10 mins later I began to itch and itch and itch and when I looked at myself, I have come up in hives on my arms, behind my knees and on my tummy. This has never happened before. Is this a reaction to the Penicillin. Can someone suddenly develop an allergy to it? I have taken it no problems many times in the past.

I suppose I had better ring the GP hadnt I?? groan....

MrsBadgerAvecUneVoiture Thu 01-Jun-06 10:45:01

yes ring GP - may be a different formulation ie still contains 5mg or whatever of penicillin, but has another ingredient you're allergic to - lactose maybe?
Penicillin allergy tends to manifest itself with more serious symptoms and is not likely to be late-onset ie if you have it you'll always have had it.
Pharmacist is worth consulting if you can't get through to GP.

Chloe55 Thu 01-Jun-06 10:45:10

I am allergic to penecillin yet I always have been. I used to vet nurse and if I handled the tablets with no loves I would come out in a terrible rash so it does seem that you have some sort of allergy to it. Maybe it is just that particular type of antibiotic, it may have other ingredients as well as penecillin?

JILS Thu 01-Jun-06 10:45:33

I've recently had a chest infection and was given penicillin. Like you I've been quite itchy on my arms and legs, though not as severely. Was on the same AB's last year for a throat infection and the same thing happened, but I thought it was washing powder, shower gel or something which caused the itching. Now I know it was AB's. Had had penicillin in past without probs, so I suppose you must be able to develop an allergy to it.

Chloe55 Thu 01-Jun-06 10:45:56

oops crossed posts (and terrible spelling )

LotosEater Thu 01-Jun-06 10:48:53

I had penecillin many times as a child. When I was in my 20's I had an alleric reation (hives) to Amoxil and have never been given any penicillin type drugs since

poppiesinaline Thu 01-Jun-06 10:59:17

groan. Cant get through to GP at the minute. Will she be able to give me something else instead? Cant bear to suffer full blown tonsilitis

LotosEater Thu 01-Jun-06 11:00:22

I always get Erythromycin instead of penicillin based drugs

Ledodgyherring Thu 01-Jun-06 11:01:16

Yeah she'll give you erythmycin (sp?) I have to have this instead of penicillen as i'm allergic to it as well.

poppiesinaline Thu 01-Jun-06 11:10:41

phew, was having a slight panic then!

The hives are beginning to disappear and the itching has stopped already. Should I leave it and see what happens after my next dose? What do you reck?

LotosEater Thu 01-Jun-06 11:16:12

I wouldn't take another dose if I were you - the reaction usually increases in severity I believe

poppiesinaline Thu 01-Jun-06 11:16:28

<<<<tremble>>>>>

LotosEater Thu 01-Jun-06 11:19:07

I spent several days taking Amoxil when I had my reaction - didn't know what it was - the Dr came for a home visit on the Monday and immediately realised what was happening - by this time I was covered fro head to the soles of my feet in an intensly itchy red rash

It was hell

plus I had a very severe chest infection and was too weak to get out of bed - hence the Dr's visit

poppiesinaline Thu 01-Jun-06 11:22:39

I dont know what I would do without MN!! Just got through to Dr who said stop taking them. She will do me another prescription. Not ready til 5 pm though How long does it take to print out a prescription???????

Thanks everyone.

LotosEater Thu 01-Jun-06 11:23:31

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: