Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Friend has eczema on her <ahem> nani....

(6 Posts)
ntt Wed 31-May-06 16:10:51

and has had it for over 2 years! She's only just told me. It's mainly at the front over the lower part of her pubis, but goes inside (where it sometimes cracks and bleeds), right round to the back. Aaages ago the doc prescribed her a mild hydrocortisone cream, but it had little effect so she stopped using it (she didn't like to put a steroid down there anyway), so has been suffering in silence all this time. Of course I told her to go straight back to the dr's again, but she's very very shy and I know she probably won't. It is worse during her period and she doesn't get it anywhere else apart from a tiny patch on her leg which she's had for nearly 20 years.

Is there anything she can try?

Lilymaid Wed 31-May-06 16:18:18

Boots sells a product called "Intimate Care Feminine Wash", which contains lactic acid. She should use it instead of shower gels, soaps etc. (which can be irritants) preferably at least twice a day. It does work!

Furball Wed 31-May-06 16:21:55

I's say, check washing powder, change to something like Surcare for washing knickers (maybe better not to wear any pants at all with skirts!!) and bath towels and anything else that may come into contact. No conditioner - if you want them soft pop in tumle dryer for 10 minutes or so. (sorry environment!) Also no soaps or bubble bath. Tell her to pop along to the health shop and get some soap which is not too harsh and designed for such areas. Keep the area moist with creams such as sudocrem. and ouch sympathies sounds really uncomfortable.

ntt Wed 31-May-06 16:41:17

Thanks - I've just sent her off with some sudocreme and will forward this thread to her

poptot Wed 31-May-06 16:44:18

Is she sure it's excezma? There's something else thta causes problems in that region a skin problem, I'm sure I'vr read about it I'll try and think. Either way i think she should summon up her courage nd go back to the doctors and ask for a referal to the dermatologist.

ntt Wed 31-May-06 16:50:11

I told her that all she has to do is tell the doc she still has the problem and to insist on a referal to a dermatologist. She is just sooo embarassed. Never had a baby you see...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: