Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

hints for nappy rash that just wont shift?

(23 Posts)
nightowl Wed 31-May-06 14:13:19

please? its driving dd mad.

hana Wed 31-May-06 14:14:12

try metanium, it's magic - most independent chemists will have it, it shifts all nappy rash! but stains so be careful
otherwise can you leave them nappiless for a while and air it out?

CADS Wed 31-May-06 14:18:28

I'm fan of metanium too. Boots do it and i'm sure i saw it in Sainsburys.

Also, i use warm water (1/2pint) with 1 drop chamomile and 1 drop lavender to clean and cotton wool.

LIZS Wed 31-May-06 14:20:26

metanium or it may be a yeast infection, needing an antifungal cream

expatinscotland Wed 31-May-06 14:21:05

If metanium doesn't work, take her to the HV or GP. It may be thrush.

Axolotl Wed 31-May-06 14:23:29

Nightowl, sorry to the others here but Metanium never ever worked for either of my two, who were both prone to it. I tried so many different creams, including one I even got online from America! Desperate measures! In the end, the absolute best tip I was ever given was for common old Drapoline cream - you get it from Boots and other chemists and it is brill. Give it a go - it really works. Good luck.

Axolotl Wed 31-May-06 14:25:02

Ps, meant to agree with expat too though - I didn't realise with ds1 that it can be thrush. My Gp told me with ds2 that when it was really scarlet, it usually means thrush and you'll need some canestan. That usually does the trick after about a day, although you need to keep it up for a few more.

CADS Wed 31-May-06 14:28:47

Yes, have use canestan with thrush too, was told to use it for 5 days.

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 31-May-06 14:30:13

Def go to GP in case it's thrush. DD had canesten prescribed for 6 weeks, and when that didn't work she then had a hydrocortisone cream for 4 weeks, and as that hasn't worked she now has oral stuff to take, which is supposed to work in a few days.

If it's really really bad and blistered then it can also be a sign of lactose intolerance, although she'd exhibit some other symptoms then too.

nicnack2 Wed 31-May-06 14:30:44

i have always used sudocrem for nappy rash

Micku5 Wed 31-May-06 14:32:05

My dd was allergic to Sudocrem. I used other creams but found that Drapolene was the best... sometimes is just trial and error.

TheHun Wed 31-May-06 14:33:35

dd only once had a problem with nappy rash, when showed it to HV was told it was thrush, was given some canestan and it went within a couple of days. I would get it looked at by dr or hv unless you've come across it before on a little one and know what you're looking for. Hope you sort it soon!

frangipan Wed 31-May-06 15:29:24

Apparently sudocreme can burn if you over use it! so the HV reckons.

I found goats milk protein balm from the health food shop did the trick, cleared up nappy rash, infant eczema, chapped skin..fab stuff

about £3-4.

Mummycan Wed 31-May-06 15:31:10

Another vote for drapolene - it's great

manitz Wed 31-May-06 16:51:08

canestan 0.1g (i think) i get it at the pharmacy over the counter, didn't bother with gp. used it on dd1 all the time. also heard of bicarb in bath and lots of no nappy time on a mat if she doesn't crawl off.

meowmix Wed 31-May-06 17:19:31

bicarb in bath worked wonders for my friend's dd but can't remember what she said the ratios were. her HV told her so maybe ask yours?

juuule Wed 31-May-06 18:01:37

Egg-white smeared over bottom and left to dry. A favourite with a child-minder friend (with parents permission, of course). Not used it myself as I'm a fan of Metanium.

FlameBoo Wed 31-May-06 18:10:59

Drapolene for chemically type cure, non-chem soak some cloths in chamomile tea & honey, and use those for wiping, and if possible, leave them covering her for a while with no nappy on.

If you are in cloth - silk liners soaked in cham, then put in damp are amazing.

FlameBoo Wed 31-May-06 18:11:23

Drapolene for chemically type cure, non-chem soak some cloths in chamomile tea & honey, and use those for wiping, and if possible, leave them covering her for a while with no nappy on.

If you are in cloth - silk liners soaked in cham, then put in damp are amazing.

FlameBoo Wed 31-May-06 18:12:52

With all of these though, it is helpful to know what is causing it - for us it is always if the poo hasn't been changed quick enough (the mix of wee and poo and my babies is a burny one!!!!!)

Clure Thu 01-Jun-06 21:49:45

Reading with interest - missed the begining of thread though. My DD has the most terrible nappy rash, it usually clears with metanium but this time hasn't. It usually coincides with teething - again this time hasn't cleared. Had wondered if it was chicken pox as this was doing rounds at nursery. DD is really going mad to scratch at her bottom. I now wonder if it is thrush? I was very red and spotty, and blistery.

TheHun Fri 02-Jun-06 13:22:27

could be, when dd had thrush it was very red but I don't remember blisters. Thrush can cause itching can't it, try some canestan and see hv or dr if no improvement.

eidsvold Fri 02-Jun-06 13:33:04

can't get metanium in aus but paw paw ointment worked wonders. when dd1 has blisters and bleeding - they suggested metanium mixed with sudocrem. Rarely get nappy rash in my 2 - use reusable wipes and the mixture I use seems to ward it off. But when it did happen - paw paw ointment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: