Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

My mom's feet?-burning sensation.

(14 Posts)
Beauregard Tue 30-May-06 22:51:21

Anyone have any idea what it could be?She has had this burning feeling in her feet for day's now ,feet not red or hot to the touch.

motherpeculiar Tue 30-May-06 23:28:53

I used to have that - for years - felt as though I was attached to the burning core of the earth - hateful

don't get it anymore now which is great - no idea why except that I don't walk as much anymore (due to a dodgey pelvis) and certainly cannot walk fast (used to be a very fast walker) so maybe that makes a difference

does she spend lots of time on her feet? has that changed(increased) in the last while?

sorry not to be of much use, I sympathise with her, it's a horrible feeling

Beauregard Wed 31-May-06 21:27:16

Thanks mp!No she hasn't been doing more walking than usual or anything different really,it has just come on!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 31-May-06 21:28:49

Is she diabetic? Might she be? This can be a sign of nerve damage, from diabetes.

I would go see a doctor ...

Beauregard Wed 31-May-06 21:38:21

She isn't diabetic and doesn't appear to have any symptoms associated with it.She leads a healthy lifestyle ,she walk's and doesn't smoke ,only drinks alcohol in moderation,eat's a very low fat healthy diet.She did have her gallbladder removed about 5week's ago!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 31-May-06 21:39:42

Hmm, particularly given she's had surgery recently, I'd get to a doctor, quite sharpish. Burning sensations in the feet are related to nerve damage, generally. Any chance she has some sort of thrombosis from the surgery?

Mercy Wed 31-May-06 21:40:14

Are her feet itchy at all. Could be athletes foot if so.

Circulation problem? - ie visit to Dr is in order

gigglinggoblin Wed 31-May-06 21:51:21

my mil has just given herself nerve damage by walking through grass with weedkiller on which she was allergic to. figured out that so stopped using it but didnt throw out her gardening shoes and made it much worse.

Beauregard Wed 31-May-06 22:06:54

It definately isn't athletes foot,no itching or anything like that.She describe's the burning pain like the feeling you get when it is freezing cold outside and then you go inside and warm up and it really burns.The skin colour is normal and isn't hot to touch.I have told her about your post notquitecockney and she is going to call her gp in the morning so hopefully we shall soon know what it is!
Thanks all x

pucca Wed 31-May-06 22:13:06

My nan has the exact same thing atm, she has a hip replacement 6 weeks ago, her 2nd one, she also had this when she had her 1st hip done but she not sure what it is, she goes back to see her consultant next week and is going to ask then, will let you know what happens.

HTH

CountessDracula Wed 31-May-06 22:15:24

Reynaud's disease?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 31-May-06 22:15:41

Um, yes, this can be a sign of thrombosis, which is common after an operation. Def get it checked.

CountessDracula Wed 31-May-06 22:16:43

here my mum has had for years

Beauregard Mon 05-Jun-06 11:04:07

Hi,well mom has been to see her Gp this morning and she said it isn't thrombosis(phew)and she thinks (didn't give a technical name)that the nerves in the feet are sending incorrect signals to the brain telling it that her feet are hot when they aren't!She said that it is more common in much older patient's but said that mom's op could have triggered it.There are drugs that she can give her but she would rather wait and see if it subsides on it's own,as the drugs are pretty heavy and have lots of side effects!So at the moment it is just a matter of waiting ,which does'nt really help mom but at least she has an idea what it is.Her Gp is also going to do a fasting blood test next week to rule out diabetes.
I will let you know if we find out a technical term for the condition.
Thanks for all the posts

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: