Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

supplements?

(8 Posts)
GingerCurry Tue 18-Jun-13 08:09:05

I am feeling I need to try a supplement to help with my tiredness, achiness, low mood and generally no get up and go.

I'm female in mid 40s. Could be the start of the perimenopause as I do get terrible pm and occasional night sweats, but my periods are the unchanged. I am overweight, can't shift the pounds despite loads of fruit and veg and exercising ( hard classes)2-3 x week and daily walking too

Been trying to read about supplements and finding it v confusing as I seem to need everything.

anyone got any experience of Coenzyme Q10 or 5htp supplements or could recommend anything that's worked for them?

Aetae Tue 18-Jun-13 08:15:40

I've tried a lot of supplements for various "feeling like crap" complaints. The only thing that made a noticeable difference for me was a good quality b complex every morning (I take Solgar) - I found it counteracted the effect of stress better than anything else.

But it may be a diet issue for you as well? A lot of people say they feel much better on a grain-free diet.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 18-Jun-13 09:16:32

I would look into having blood tests done now via your GP as your problems may well be due to the thyroid gland being out of kilter.

BIWI Tue 18-Jun-13 09:18:09

I would also have a look at your diet. How much carbohydrate are you eating? Try cutting down/out things like bread/pasta/potatoes/rice for a few days - and knock the sugar on the head (which includes fruit).

Do you drink enough water?

GingerCurry Tue 18-Jun-13 15:12:30

Thanks for your replies.

I prob don't drink enough water and can quite easily correct this. Its just hard changing habits, but I do know I need to drink more.

I had full blood tests a couple of years back and thyroid ok and never been anaemic.

I will def try a vit b complex daily.

Not sure about cutting out carbs though. Usually only "good wholegrain carbs" , brown rice, WM bread, Jacket potatoes, oats etc. Diont really know what I could substitute these for and find myself starving hungry if no carbs in a meal.

BIWI Tue 18-Jun-13 17:59:42

Can you look to cut them down? Replace with protein - so, for example, instead of toast/cereal for breakfast, have a couple of boiled eggs. Also, if you up your fat intake (whilst also reducing your carbs), you are much less likely to be hungry.

hiddenhome Tue 18-Jun-13 23:13:27

Rhodiola Rosea is very good for lack of energy. Get a decent brand, I used to take Viridian RR for my chronic fatigue.

PhoenixUprising Tue 18-Jun-13 23:19:28

I agree with B complex for low energy.

And would also try D3 (solgar) for low mood.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: