Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

sister has pneumonia again

(9 Posts)
eastendgirl Tue 30-May-06 13:06:35

first course of antibiotics did not work - had to go back for an ex-ray and they say she still has an infection, taking different antibiotics now. Is it common that pneumonia does not resolve itself with a course of antibiotics?

PrincessBoris Tue 30-May-06 13:07:16

how old is she?

Twiglett Tue 30-May-06 13:07:40

took me 6 courses

spacecadet Tue 30-May-06 13:11:07

i had pnuemonia back in jan and the first course of abs didnt work,its not unusual for an infection to have to be treated with a second course of abs, especially severe ones, hopefully with the new course of abs she will start to recover, they should re-do the x-ray when the course has finished tio establish that it has cleared.

Twiglett Tue 30-May-06 13:11:16

which totally buggered up my system for months .. get her some acidopholus tablets from a health food store .. tell her to take them before eating ..

Twiglett Tue 30-May-06 13:12:05

the acidopholus is to help replenish her gut lining with good bacteria (the yogurts don't work) ... which is really important for the immune system

spacecadet Tue 30-May-06 13:19:04

yes i was really run down and had 4 colds in a row afterwards.

PrincessBoris Tue 30-May-06 13:24:18

my dd is 20 months and had pneumonia 3 weeks ago, had antibiotics but stil has a cough

im wondering if she still has a slight infection

eastendgirl Tue 30-May-06 14:49:54

she is 35 - there is lung cancer inthe family so we are very paranoid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: