Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice needed on high temp in adults

(12 Posts)
Skygirls Sun 16-Jun-13 18:19:58

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone out there can give me some advice....

I think I caught a virus from my ds (who recovered in 3 days).

I felt bad (headache, muscular aches, fatigue) on thurs evening, so took 2 paracetamol and went to bed. Woke up at 2am with the shivers and a 39.5 temp. Anyway, The temp has been 39+ all day friday and up and down this weekend. I still have a 39+ degree temp now, have taken more paracetamol and am sweating up a storm.

(Can't take anything else as am still bf dd)

Does this sound like a bad cold/flu?

Temp goes up and down with either sweats or feeling freezing cold and shivering. No other symptoms apart from a sore throat which started yesterday.

Should I carry on with paracetamol and wait or do you think I need to see a doc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

VinegarDrinker Sun 16-Jun-13 18:21:13

You can take ibuprofen whilst BFing.

Skygirls Sun 16-Jun-13 22:33:04

Can you vinegar? I have some neurofen and the leaflet says not to take if bf.

VinegarDrinker Sun 16-Jun-13 22:37:08

I don't know why it would say that on the leaflet, how odd. Yes, it's perfectly safe and used regularly on postnatal wards all over the world.

BfN has a PDF on painkillers and BFing http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/drugs-in-breastmilk-information-and-factsheets.html

VinegarDrinker Sun 16-Jun-13 22:37:23

Sorry www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/drugs-in-breastmilk-information-and-factsheets.html

noblegiraffe Sun 16-Jun-13 22:39:48

Have a look at the back of your throat, if it is covered in white spots it's tonsillitis.

If you are bfing are you sure it isn't mastitis?

Skygirls Sun 16-Jun-13 23:50:34

A-ha. I see white spots! Only a few but I think it is tonsilitis. Thanks noble. Does this mean it's bacterial or can tonsilitis also be viral with the white spots?

Also is it contagious? Should I worry for my DCs?

Thanks for the link vinegar. Very helpful, but will still check with the doc in the morning, just to be on the safe side and alleviate my paranoia.

charitymum Mon 17-Jun-13 00:06:32

With spots and that kind of temp probably bacterial - docs will probably give antibiotics. How wretched. Drink
enough and there are some good sore throat sprays in chemist.

Skygirls Mon 17-Jun-13 00:06:51

Ok. Just read that it's contagious, so just have to hope DCs will be ok sad

I thought it was quite rare for an adult to get this though?

Skygirls Mon 17-Jun-13 00:09:40

Thanks everyone. Glad to have found out what it was.

Ice cream seems to help charitymum so now I have a valid excuse grin

Will see doc in the morning.

digerd Mon 17-Jun-13 09:34:55

Many older people had their tonsils out when a child. I was 4. Then later it was decided tonsils should be left hmm. Didn't realise it was contagious as my siblings didn't get it from me.

Hope your baby will be OK.
Good luck at the drs this morning.

Skygirls Mon 17-Jun-13 11:26:12

Thanks digerd

Doc confirmed tonsilitis and gave me abs to take as he says its highly likely to be bacterial from the spots and high temps, plus glands are swollen and tender.

Well done for accurate diagnosis charitymum. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now