Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had septoplasty? I need reassurance!

(16 Posts)
WhoNose Thu 13-Jun-13 19:08:41

I have been advised to have my septum straightened. Can anyone share their experience with me please? I have decided to go ahead but am really nervous.

TIA

fengirl1 Thu 13-Jun-13 19:58:24

Had mine done years ago. I was surprised at how little pain there was afterwards. I also didn't have any bruising.

WhoNose Thu 13-Jun-13 20:32:25

Thanks. Good to hear not much heparin, although i think crusting and itching will really give me grief!

WhoNose Thu 13-Jun-13 20:32:57

Heparin? PAIN, I meant!

superbagpuss Thu 13-Jun-13 20:35:09

I had it done, one night in hospital, not to bad pain wise, as long as a toddler does not head butt you the next day

can breathe much better now and dh says the snoring is down to an acceptable level

WhoNose Thu 13-Jun-13 20:41:39

Ah, interesting you mention snoring, I have started in the last year or so, am hoping this might improve it.

magso Thu 13-Jun-13 22:56:20

Yes I had septoplasty ( along with FESS, polypectomy and turbinectomy ) 8 months ago. I had one night in hospital. It felt bruised more than painful, although was acutely painful if I knocked my nose. I would advise using button front or wide necked clothes to start with to avoid catching your nose. I could barely breath through my nose before surgery so was at least a little used to being bunged up, but in some ways that is the worst bit. My throat and lips got quite dry having to breath through my mouth, so a lipsalve is helpful, and Vaseline to soften the crusty bits around your nose. Soluble paracetamol is useful as it is tricky to swallow tablets with a packed nose. I had to sit up to sleep for a couple of weeks (to stop blood going down my throat) which is difficult. A few extra pillows help with this. Ds was the biggest risk to my sensitive nose - still is! I had to have steroids to settle it all down but I think this is not usually needed - trust me to be complicated.
I can breath through my nose again and have reduced the frequency of sinus infections, and can smell things again so its all been worth it. Dh complained I started to snore once my nose started to clear, but that was only for a few nights.

carrotsdotty Fri 14-Jun-13 11:22:51

Glad to have found this thread, i've just signed my consent forms and i'm most worried about the swelling and not being able to breathe, how long did it take until you could breathe easily again?

NatashaBee Fri 14-Jun-13 11:28:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

magso Fri 14-Jun-13 20:06:14

My nose was congested for a good couple of weeks ( not helped by getting a cold a day or two after surgery!), but it did get better day by day. You cannot blow your nose at all for I think it was 2 weeks, but the saline rinses do help clear the nose. It was probably a good month before I could breath easily through my nose all of the time, but after the first 2 days I started to get partial use at least some of the time.
I had some irritating numbness in my top lip and palate which has resolved now.

Naoko Fri 14-Jun-13 20:16:25

I had this done. It didn't help but then it was completely the wrong surgery for my problem, that's a different and much more ranty thread altogether though!

The surgery itself was fine. They give you good pain relief during and after the surgery, and to take home as well so that side of it was fine. I was sore for a while but nothing unbearable. I did get an infection but a course of antibiotics cleared that right up.

Make sure you have a few straws in the house on the day you have surgery. I had none and I couldn't drink anything without soaking the whopping great bandage on my nose in my drink. It is surprisingly hard to get hold of a packet of straws in the arse end of North Wales at 4pm on a Friday.

The saline rinses were hard for the first few days while things were swollen and full of gunk from the surgery but after that it was ok. They gave me some 'official' sachets to use at first and told me how to make up more of the solution myself, but I ended up buying more of the official ones from Boots because I found the home made solution a bit harsh.

The hardest for me was the general anaesthetic. This may very well not be an issue for you though, I have a long and interesting history of responding to anaesthetics funnily. I wake up from them really, really quickly and am fully coherent before they've even wheeled me back to the ward, but am then wiped out and feeble like a newborn kitten for up to two weeks after. Probably just me though, so don't worry about that. It wasn't a long anaesthetic at all, I left the ward to go to theatre at 9.30 and I was back there at 10.20.

magso Fri 14-Jun-13 20:43:28

I was advised to buy Sterimar saline, which has a squirty nozzle. I still use it in the hope of warding off at least some sinus infections! Good point about straws. I had forgotten about that! With the nasal bolster ( a sort of mini pad held by your ears) drinking from a cup is very tricky!

carrotsdotty Sat 15-Jun-13 07:37:51

thanks for the info, will go and stock up on the straws.

weebarra Sat 15-Jun-13 07:44:56

DH had it last year and it was very successful. The biggest risk was one of our bouncy DSs whacking him during the recovery period. Just make sure you take the painkillers!

WhoNose Sat 15-Jun-13 20:18:19

Thank you for all the tips, and nice to know others are gong through it too, IYSWIM!

How long did people have off work afterwards?

Luckychristine58 Wed 15-Jun-16 10:15:31

I had septoplasty and turbinate reduction.and it was fine.not like all these horror stories you read about.didn't even need painkillers after.but has taken 2weeks to breath out of my nose.and it didn't hardly bleed.anyone having this sugersmiley please don't worry because it's not that bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now