Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Really loud noise and now got ear ache...

(5 Posts)
Hayls Mon 29-May-06 15:27:03

I was hoovering the skirting boards when the hoover got all clogged up and starrted making a really loud noise. I had my head right next to it for a few minutes before I realised why it was noisy. This was a few hours ago and my ear hurts a LOT. I normally wouldn't worry too much (OK i probably would) but I'm flying in a couple of day sand am worried about what could happen if I have damaged my ear drum. Is this possible through noise alone?
Sorry if this seems trivial but I'm panicking and dh just says it's nothing to worry about.

Whizzz Mon 29-May-06 15:32:22

I wouldn't have thought you'd get permanent damage from that sort of noise. A sudden very loud noise can cause problems but I doubt your hoover was making that much noise??. You can damage the little hairs in your ear that transfer the sound waves (end up with slight loss of hearing or ringing in ears) after loud noises it's not usually painful though.
I'd just see if it lasts or gets better by itself

Hayls Mon 29-May-06 15:33:34

I just googled it and apparently a hovver can be 120 decibels, which is enough to cause permanent hearing loss

Whizzz Tue 30-May-06 12:22:59

It is but I would say only it you were exposed for some length of time. How are you doing today ??

Hayls Tue 30-May-06 12:28:09

Still painful despite nurofen. I had it checked out but the nurse and she says it looks OK- no redness or leaking. Why on earth does it hurt??!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: