Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ingrown toenail - sort of!

(13 Posts)
frissonpink Tue 11-Jun-13 15:23:59

Right. It's not as such because there is no more nail to cut down at the side.

But basically, at the top of my toe, where the nail would be, is agony. So I imagine at some point, I have cut the nail and some of it has remained inbedded in the skin above it? (does this make sense?!)

I have just spent half an hour digging to no avail..if i could stand the pain I think it would all pop out if I squeezed either side of the top of my toe - but I can't. It's agony.

Ideas people?! It's hardly major I know, but i'm in agony!

ukatlast Tue 11-Jun-13 17:10:19

Visit a podiatrist?

Kurby Tue 11-Jun-13 18:53:02

My son went 6 months ago to a podiatrist and had the whole nail removed. He has no regrets after battling with ingrown toe nail for 6 years. He also used to dig in it and get it infected, now he is smiling all day long.

frissonpink Wed 12-Jun-13 11:56:20

Hmm. I'm also thinking along these lines, have struggled all my life with them.

However, am getting married in 2 months! Can't see how attractive that's going to look without nails!!

daftdame Wed 12-Jun-13 12:00:03

You could try soaking your foot in hot (as you can stand it) water with Dettol in it. This as worked with slightly infected cuts for me and my husband once got a piece of glass in his foot which came out more easily after soaking.

frissonpink Wed 12-Jun-13 12:05:00

Ahh thank you for the tip, shall try that smile

RockinD Wed 12-Jun-13 12:43:41

Another vote for a good podiatrist - worth every penny.

ukatlast Thu 13-Jun-13 13:10:52

Why would your nails have to show on your Wedding Day? My son had constant ingrowing toenail problems and so on the third occasion opted for complete nail removal and to have the nailbed destroyed permanently.

It is painless once you have the two injections to numb it.

I also had this done once but didn't have the nailbed destroyed.

daftdame Thu 13-Jun-13 13:20:13

frisson How did you get on? Sometimes I think nail beds can really hurt if the skin has been damaged and has got slightly infected.

You may not have to have a nail removed if that is all that has happened.

GingerCurry Fri 14-Jun-13 15:24:46

I have toe nail problems and have even on occasion resorted to numbing the skin around the nail with emla local aneastheic cream ( you can buy it OTC from pharmacies) Takes 30-60 mins to work and takes the edge off when digging around.

I even used this before my tattoo and it worked well for this too. Need to cover with an occlusive dressing or cling film.

frissonpink Sat 15-Jun-13 21:38:49

I am pain free grin

My mum actually dug it out for me! lol. I am going to have to get this sorted more permanently however.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Oh. Nails are showing because i have peep toe shoes! grin

daftdame Sun 16-Jun-13 07:57:24

smile

Kurby Wed 19-Jun-13 20:30:33

Happy you got sorted out.! All the best in the future and congrats for your wedding announcement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now