Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Blood in urine?

(16 Posts)
MTBMummy Tue 11-Jun-13 09:28:28

Sorry if this is TMI – but really need some advice, and hopefully you can tell me I don’t need to worry.

Just been for a wee, and it was bright red as if it was full of blood (only noticed when I stood up to flush) I wiped again thinking AF may have arrived earlier than expected, but nothing… I’ve popped a pad in to keep an eye on things, but I don’t feel crampy or in pain in anyway.

My first wee was definitely normal this morning, kind of waiting to see what happens when I next need the loo.

Is this normal? Scared to google it as it’s too easy to get carried away

invicta Tue 11-Jun-13 09:33:22

Blood in urine should always be checked with the gp.

However, if its bright red, then it cold just be an anal fissure. They're nothing to worry about.

However, I'm not a doctor, so it should be checked professionally, especially if you get more symptoms.

MTBMummy Tue 11-Jun-13 09:41:31

Thanks Invicta - think I'll call my GP and see if I can get an appointment - it's a bit worrying

soontobeslendergirl Tue 11-Jun-13 09:45:06

Have you had a sore throat lately? My son developed a complication from a strep throat called Post strepticoccal glomerolunefritus (not sure of the spelling!) he was retaining fluid and had blood in his urine - it was more browny than red to be fair though. You will need to see your GP as it can cause kidney damage and high blood pressure.

soontobeslendergirl Tue 11-Jun-13 09:46:01

He was perfectly fine after some antibiotics though they did monitor his kidney function and blood pressure for months after.

Elibean Tue 11-Jun-13 09:58:40

MTB, I had blood in my urine a few months ago - it was more pink than red, so less of it, possibly, but still fresh blood. I had no pain either.

GP checked urine over a week, and it still had microscopic amounts in though nothing to be seen by naked eye - so he sent me to urologist to be on the safe side. I had a cystoscopy, which I dreaded but was not painful or awful at all - and all was well. I had a teeny polyp which may have bled, very common at my age.

But I suspect you are younger - I'm a venerable 53 smile

Very likely to be innocent cause, but glad you're going to GP: right thing to do!

bonzo77 Tue 11-Jun-13 10:00:12

Have you eaten lots of beetroot?

MTBMummy Tue 11-Jun-13 10:52:47

Thanks all - no not eaten any beetroot

I have got a horrible sore throat at the moment, so maybe it's that - GP has advised to call tomorrow am and get an emergency appointment as they're fully booked. And I'm currently a 2 hour journey from home.

Just completely freaked me out when I looked down, now as much as I want to pee again, and have been drinking loads of water - I can't go

soontobeslendergirl Tue 11-Jun-13 11:27:01

Hope you get to the doctors tomorrow then - do you mean you are scared to go to the loo or that you physically can't? fluid retention being a sympton of the post strepticoccal thing:

www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000503.htm

MTBMummy Tue 11-Jun-13 12:20:04

I physically can't go to the loo, have downed almost a litre of water a 4 coffees, I'm sure I'll be off soon

soontobeslendergirl Tue 11-Jun-13 12:28:10

Hmmm - That might just be stress now, but I think you need to make sure you get an appointment in the morning.

MTBMummy Tue 11-Jun-13 13:15:54

They've called me back and given me a 9am appointment with a medical student - not sure if that's a good thing or not, I assume she'll report into a GP?

I have toilet issues anyway - for years I would literally hold it all day as I couldn't stand going anywhere but at home, so it's probably just because I'm paranoid now

soontobeslendergirl Tue 11-Jun-13 13:54:17

yes, they will still report into the gp. Sometimes at our surgery, you will get an appointment with a nurse in an emergency and they will do a few initial checks and then liase with the doctor if you need a prescription etc. so it uses up less of the doctors time if they have already checked your urine and done your blood pressure etc. I'd take a urine sample with you too....if you manage to pee by then. smile

MTBMummy Wed 12-Jun-13 10:30:43

Thanks everyone, I've had my appointment, and they've sent my urine off for tests, as the amount of blood has reduced, to the point it's almost looking normal again, I have to carry a little pee-pot with me so that if it happens again they can get a sample of it.

Also turns out I have tonsillitis - that I was not expecting.

Thanks all for the advice, and pushing me to see the GP

soontobeslendergirl Wed 12-Jun-13 10:41:00

Oh that sounds really positive then, good that you have caught the tonsilitus as well smile

invicta Wed 12-Jun-13 15:58:43

Get well soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now