Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Strange virus that defies the laws of physics?

(43 Posts)
Chandra Sun 28-May-06 16:38:28

I really don't understand what is going on with DS, and was wondering if any of you can offer any advice, the problems is as follows:

-DS last poo was 10 days ago
-During the first 4 days he was fine, eating as usual.
-On 6th day he developed a fever, and was not himself during the day but was eating well.
-He was fine early in the morning of the 7th day, but he became very drowsy over the day and the fever was much worse, he had an intermitent 40 degrees fever suring the night. He had very little food and lots of water. I rang NHS direct and doctor suggested a laxative and the usual calpol/ibuprofen combination. Eventhough he drank 4-5 cups of water during the night, he didn't wet his nappy.
-Day 8th, first day with laxative and again intermitent 40 degrees fever and DS complaining of tummy ache, particularly below the ribs on the right side. Lots of milk rice and not wanting more food than a bit of bread.
-Day 9th. Second day with laxative but no poo yet. Fever reduced a bit, and he asked for more food. He complained his right leg hurts.
-Day 10th. Third day with laxative, has been eating normally, no poo yet and now he is finding it difficult to walk, he says his right leg hurts a lot.

Any clues? he is 3 yrs old, I feel like taking him to see a GP but with the bank holiday my only hope to see a doctor is taking him to A&E, however... is this really an emergency that can not wait until tuesday?

Tiggerish Sun 28-May-06 16:40:51

I would phone NHS direct again and see what they suggest. I certainly wouldn't leave it until Tuesday.

Chandra Sun 28-May-06 16:58:53

Thanks Tiggerish, someway I think they are going to say that's nothing, to continue with the laxative, and get him to see the GP if things don't improve by Tuesday, that's why I was wondering if somebody have gone through something similar. I remember some people mentioning about a virus which made a single leg hurt a couple of months ago so was thinking that this may be the case...

Pruni Sun 28-May-06 17:13:16

Message withdrawn

Chandra Sun 28-May-06 17:29:17

Thanks Pruni, I'm starting to wonder if I would get more responses by changing the name of the topic

GeorginaA Sun 28-May-06 17:41:06

I would be very concerned at no poo plus fever myself and get him to A&E - could there be a blockage in his intestines? At the very least it sounds like he's got quite severe constipation and needs medical attention.

Poor mite, hope he's better soon

Chandra Sun 28-May-06 17:44:42

We thought about blocked intestine but, this condition seems to be extremely painful, and he is not in so much pain.

I'm puzzled about it, will ring NHS direct again but please, if you think of something, please post it! thanks

SenoraPostrophe Sun 28-May-06 17:46:44

chandra - does he have a temp at all now, or is it just not as high as 40?

you may have noticed from other threads that I tend to be one to say "wait and see" with these things, but I think I'd take him to a&e. 10 days is a very long time.

Airy Sun 28-May-06 17:47:50

I've had this with dd before, when she was severely constipated. If I were you I wouldn't bother with NHS direct and I'd just take him to A+E, they will give him a stronger laxative and get him emptied out properly.
Has he wet at all? When dd had this she was so blocked it had cut off her bladder and she wasn't wetting either, it can be dangerous if this is the case. I'd just take him straight in.

good luck x

Airy Sun 28-May-06 17:49:58

DD didn't seem to be in as much pain as you would have expected either, but they took x-rays and it was shocking how completely blocked she was. Severe constipation can lead to very bad dehydration too so make sure he's getting plenty of fluids, dd ended up on a drip because of this!

Chandra Sun 28-May-06 18:06:06

Temperature is fine now, he's sleeping atm.

Have just rang NHS Direct and they said somebody will ring us in the next three hours. I'm a bit concerned about proceeding straight to A&E, I have been left to wait for 3-4 hours once that I was not refered to A&E by NHS Direct.

He has had a wet nappy this morning, so I think that at least on that front things are improving... but can't understand why is he complaining now about the leg.

Airy, did your DD also complained that one leg hurted?

Chandra Sun 28-May-06 18:08:23

Your last post has really scared me... there goes my last hopes that because he was not in such pain he might not suffering that problem. Will wait for an hour and I'm off to A&E

Chandra Sun 28-May-06 18:09:14

Airy, after how many days of no poos did you take her to A&E?

Chandra Sun 28-May-06 18:26:44

bump

Twiglett Sun 28-May-06 18:41:25

personally I'd go to A&E Chandra

NotQuiteCockney Sun 28-May-06 18:57:59

Hmm, I'd probably try a suppository, if they're easily available in this country? And if that didn't work, yeah, A&E.

SaintGeorge Sun 28-May-06 19:03:04

10 days without a motion despite 3 days of laxatives, intermittant fever and now further symptoms?

A & E without a doubt. I would rather spend 3 hours there than take the risk of waiting 'til Tuesday.

Airy Sun 28-May-06 19:31:49

sorry Chandra for not getting back to you sooner, dd had not gone for about a fortnight when I took her to A+E I'd had her on laxatives for the second week of that with very little sucess amd when I noticed temp, not being herself etc I just took her in.

hth

xx

Airy Sun 28-May-06 19:34:30

Sorry just noticed your second post, no she didn't complain of a sore leg, but I can imagine if your ds is all blocked up on one side it could be down to that?? sorry not much help there!

Rhubarb Sun 28-May-06 19:37:04

I'm seconding the A&E option. He will have a build up of toxins in his body because he is not pooing them out, this could be why his right leg is hurting, the toxins have to go somewhere! He needs 'emptying', 10 days is far too long. Dh knows of a little girl when he was at school, he recalls that she had this problem and it turned nasty. Sorry to scare you, but I cannot believe that NHS Direct are not taking this seriously. Does your hospital have a day clinic for when the GPs surgery is closed? If you phone your GP's surgery there will be an automated message telling you where to go for out-of-hours attention. If you don't want to go to A&E then this is your best bet.

Chandra Sun 28-May-06 20:08:38

A nurse from NHS direct rang 45 minutes ago, she thinks the problem with the leg may be due to too much faeces pressing on the nerve. Good thing, she said, is that he is not bloated, told me she will forward the case to a doctor that should contact me soon. So soon I guess that I'm still waiting... Off to A&E!

GeorginaA Sun 28-May-06 20:20:46

Keep us posted, Chandra. I hope you're seen quickly and that he's better soon....

Chandra Sun 28-May-06 20:23:46

And in a strange turn of fate, we were preparing him to go to A&E and he has started to jump, problem with leg so evident 5 minutes ago seems to be gone! he seems all happy again, but no poo!!!! argh!!!What's going on?????

I supose they won't believe me he has not had a poo in ten days! I have promised him a pinguin if he produces a poo, DH and he are now locked in the bathroom with a bunch of books waiting for the NHS doctor to ring. <Chandra tumps head against the keyboard>

It is not that I fear waiting for 3 hours at NHS, what I fear is that they don't believe me, and sent me home with the advice of continuing with the laxatice and feeding him lots of fruit. Which after all is what I have been feeding him for most of last week ARGHHHH

SaintGeorge Sun 28-May-06 20:28:47

Aha - he has A&Eitis !

Kids have a wonderful habit of improving just as medical help is imminent. It could just be that anything pressing on the nerve has moved on a little bit, but it hasn't cleared his system yet.

Just stand your ground if they don't believe you at A & E.

Airy Sun 28-May-06 20:39:37

I wouldn't worry about them not believing you, even if he isn't bloated they will be able to feel from pressing his tummy that he's blocked, and they may do an x-ray as they did with us which shows it all

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: