Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any dentists about?

(15 Posts)
MrsAlwaysRight Sun 09-Jun-13 22:03:56

Went to dentist last week with toothache, I couldn't pin point which tooth the pain was coming from (either lateral incisor or central incisor). X ray appeared to show infection at root of lateral but when dentist was tapping on teeth and putting cold stuff on it the central was more sensitive.

Given 5 days worth of antibiotics and told to go back in 4-6 weeks for another x ray to see what was happening with a possibility of root canal. He initially wanted to wait and see if pain localised before starting antibiotics and said he hoped that would confirm which of the 2 teeth was the problem. I insisted that I wanted to start taking medication straight away as was in agony!

Anyway I finished my tablets today and just gave my tooth a prod (lateral incisor) and have just massively freaked myself out as it is slightly wobbly shock I am now really scared that my tooth is going to have to come out and am actually shaking at the thought of losing one of my front teeth <drama queen!>

Can anyone please advise me if my tooth falling out/being removed in now inevitable? sad

TIA

MrsAlwaysRight Mon 10-Jun-13 20:30:29

Bump!

ukatlast Thu 13-Jun-13 13:13:53

Go back to your dentist now not in 4-6 weeks would be my advice.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 13-Jun-13 14:16:24

I would go back to the dentist as soon as you can, but to put your mind at rest, I have a receding lowr gumling and 4 teeth wobble but have been like that for 10 years now and havent fell out yet!

Ladymisskimberley Thu 13-Jun-13 15:39:22

Are there any dentists here? I am epileptic and I take epilim chrono to control it. I had all of my teeth taken out 3 years ago after suffering for years with abscesses and crumbling teeth because of my receding gums. I have tried 4 different sets of false teeth. I just can't wear them. Having no teeth is seriously affecting my life. I don't go anywhere, I take my boy to school with my head down and then come home and stay here. I don't speak to anyone except my family, I'm so upset, I thought that the extraction was the answer to my prayers, i now realise that it was a terrible mistake but i cant put it right, i cry every single day. I am only 35 but I feel like my life is over. I can't even look in a mirror. Please can anyone help me

MildDrPepperAddiction Thu 13-Jun-13 16:01:12

Aw Lady, you poor thing. I'm not a dentist but just wanted to give support.

OP, def go to your dentist now. Dont wait for weeks.

MsUumellmahaye Thu 13-Jun-13 16:07:24

lady, is there no way you could afford implants? they are a big commitment but they would change your life. MrsA it's possible the infection has left your tooth a little loose, it does NOT mean you will lose your tooth. go back to your dentist for reassurance then proceed with proposed treatment, good luck.

Ladymisskimberley Thu 13-Jun-13 16:15:16

Looked into implants, even denture implants, way out of my price range. First dentist I saw said I may be eligible for nhs implants as my situation may have been caused by prescribed medication (receding gums are a side effect of epilim) but his practise is no longer there and my dentist is less than sympathetic. I have no idea where to go for help, even looked into letting students loose on me but no luck

holidayseeker Thu 13-Jun-13 18:22:45

Lady - sorry your in this situation, I am a bit tooth obsessed and so watch every tv program etc on teeth and there are lots of different types of false teeth so hopefully you will find a solution.

There is a forum dental fear.org where you may be able to find some help.

Op - I agree get to the dentist now to get it checked out

MrsAlwaysRight Thu 13-Jun-13 23:08:25

Thanks for the replies - quick update, got an emergency appointment on Tuesday and dentist said he thought the infection has damaged the periodontal ligaments which is why it is now wobbly and the one next to it is also very slightly wobbly apparently. Went back for root canal today and he has removed pus and blood <boak!>. He seems to think there is a good chance that once the swelling starts to go down that over time the teeth should tighten up a bit <fingers crossed>

holidayseeker Fri 14-Jun-13 10:27:51

I hope it does firm up for you smile

TuTuTilly Fri 14-Jun-13 21:44:43

Lady - go to your GP and see if he can refer you to dental hospital or dentist who can do the work on NHS because (a) you lost your teeth due to prescribed medication and (b) the loss of your teeth is having a negative effect on you psychologically. You really do deserve to be treated better than this.

Take care.

Ladymisskimberley Sun 16-Jun-13 16:26:00

Tututilly, thanks so much for your reply. I will go and see my gp this week. I know I cannot carry on living a half life. I have always just gone along with 'those who know better' but after years of being kicked about by the nhs I know that medical professionals aren't always right, I bear the scars.

MrsMorton Tue 18-Jun-13 07:13:41

Lady I've pmed you.

As an aside it frustrates the pants off me when patients (including lots of posters on here) say "take all my teeth out and give me false ones" or "profiteering dentist wants to save my tooth rather than extract it so they can make more money out of me".

There is absolutely no substitute for natural teeth. One of the best gifts a parent can give a child is good teeth, that is ones which have no sugar between meals and see a dentist regularly. Not straight, not white, just not decayed.

Imnotaslimjim Tue 18-Jun-13 15:46:04

Mrs Morton, I totally agree with you. I didn't look after my teeth and have now had 7 pulled. On one side I only have one bottom molar, and that is mostly filling. I know the dentist isn't pulling it so I have something to chew with, not to make more money from me when he needs to fill it again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now