Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

health anxiety

(6 Posts)
EnlightenedOwl Fri 07-Jun-13 20:03:20

I seem to have this and its getting worse.
I mean today I've had a meltdown because collected my repeat prescription and for whatever reason (computer error I think) only been issued 14 day supply of my cipramil it should be 28. easily sorted with a phone call so why do I get so panicky over anything health wise?
In fact why do I keep getting panicky over relatively minor issues full stop.
anyone else have this?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 07-Jun-13 20:05:06

I have had horrible health anxiety this year. I've been prescribed ADs and it has really helped, I'm feeling much better and more positive and happier than I have been in months.

Jaydeelee Fri 07-Jun-13 22:06:37

I have this. I'm not on anti-d's, but am having high intensity CBT to try to tame it. I've had three sessions so far, but it's not working yet. Apparently it takes a while, but ultimately can be as effective as medication, and is a more long-term solution - many people combine the two. I've also been on a six session 'managing low mood and stress' course, which has helped me understand the phyiscal symptoms of anxiety and the 'vicious circle' of the thoughts and the adrenalin-related symptoms they cause.

I am a nightmare at the moment - I constantly convince myself there's something seriously wrong with me, the kids or my parents, and am probably top of the 'hypochondriacs' list at my doctors' practice. I also constantly imagine bad things happening to me and mine (eg fatal accidents), and am terrified of anything death-related as well. My poor CBT therapist must dread seeing me!

I hope you manage to find something that works for you - anxiety can be a living hell, and very debilitating. x

EnlightenedOwl Fri 07-Jun-13 23:31:42

the thing is when dealing with work stuff I'm fine - cool, calm and professional - I think people would be really shocked if they knew I was like this really.

Lonelybunny Mon 17-Jun-13 10:59:38

I suffering with this quite badly too. This year I've convinced myself I've had a brain tumour, breast cancer , now I have a birthmark which I'm scared is going to turn into skin cancer and a lump on my arm which has been a few months which is probably just a cyst but I just can't shake it out of my head. I have turned into a wreck , when it's at it's worse I can concentrate I feel sick , snappy and just want to sit and think about my so called cancer lump sad . I'm on citalopram and it is helping and I'm able to push the bad thoughts away a bit but it is utterly debilitating at times . I'm fine at work too in fact work keeps me calm and keeps me going as it keeps my mind off it , it's when I'm on my days off it kicks in which is horrid as I should be enjoying a day off , but no days off for me sad

Lonelybunny Mon 17-Jun-13 11:00:14

Also I didn't realise how common Heath Anxiety is , come and post on the mental health boards. A lot of support there .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now