Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Ive got sinusitus again [sad]

(37 Posts)
sallystrawberry Sat 27-May-06 13:49:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sallystrawberry Sat 27-May-06 14:31:44

gingernut Sat 27-May-06 14:52:37

Take ibuprofen, and steam it. Best way of getting steam to clear sinuses is to take a shower and then lie down for a bit, head on some nice plump pillows. Take a shower before bed tonight as well. Hope it works - it usually does for me (shower before bed was recommended by my GP who wouldn't prescribe antibiotics - I was very sceptical but it does work).

Ulysees Sat 27-May-06 14:56:57

Oh I feel for you I've suffered lots but haven't for a while,

Eating horseradish helps clear them. Beetroot just or salted water snorted helps to calm them too. I use a saucer. kali bich (homepathy) helps too and there are other rememdies depending on type of sinusitis.

You know what I'm like with my complimentary remedies

Ulysees Sat 27-May-06 14:57:21

meant beetroot 'juice'

BROWNY Sat 27-May-06 14:59:17

I'm in the same boat as you SS!! Very horrible and very painful!! Can't even bend down to pick anything up off the floor! The stabbing pains are really frightening too arn't they? I've even got bad pains in the back of my head which puzzled me. I thought I was starting with toothache as my jaws were aching so much. I went to my gp the other day, she prescribed anti-biotics for 7 days as she couldn't even see my ear drum, said a tube was completely blocked. She told me that you have two bands of sinuses at the back of your head!. She said if I could manage to breath in some olbas oil that would help too! Hope we are both better soon!

sallystrawberry Sat 27-May-06 15:09:20

BROWNY Sat 27-May-06 17:59:18

SS - have you been to see your g.p.? Sometimes only anti-biotics will do! Take paracetamol too! Hope it passes soon [smile)

sallystrawberry Sat 27-May-06 20:29:11

sallystrawberry Sat 27-May-06 22:25:39

fsmail Mon 29-May-06 21:25:57

It's horrible I get it all the time as do most of my family. I find only anadin extra helps taken at the very first sign. Have been taking aloe vera gel over the last couple of months and have only had it now at period time which is fairly normal. I have tried etg from acupuncture to sinus sprays (which made it worse). I did find Chiropracter fiddling with the neck helped.

joanna4 Mon 29-May-06 21:31:07

I have accidently found a way to clear my sinuses they were totally packed yesterday.
I bought some of that foamburst menthol smelling shower foam ages ago I thought it might be like the virgin vie stuff but it wasnt and no one liked it so it lives at back of cupboard for emergency use.So yesterday we had run out of virgin vie and I used it the heat and the menthol stuff cleared them I had the best nights sleep in a whole week and today they are not half as bad.

mrsdarcy Mon 29-May-06 21:46:03

I used to get sinusitis at least once a year, and needed antibiotics to clear it. For the last couple of years, as soon as I feel a head cold attacking my sinuses, I do lots of steam inhalations with a few drops of tea tree oil in the water. I haven't needed abs since .

Hope you find something that helps.

sallystrawberry Tue 30-May-06 10:08:56

JonesTheSteam Tue 30-May-06 10:10:53

Oh God, I used to get this on a regular basis (along with tonsilitis), but (touch wood) since having DD I haven't had it since.

You have my sympathies sally, hope the antibiotics work quickly

JTS xxx

Bugsy2 Tue 30-May-06 10:22:11

Big glob of vicks in a bowl of boiling water with a towel over your head. Do it as many times a day as you possibly can - it really does help.
Feel for you the pain is awful, feels like little men with hammers inside your facial bones.

sallystrawberry Tue 30-May-06 11:26:53

sallystrawberry Tue 30-May-06 11:44:50

Piffle Tue 30-May-06 11:45:43

hot and cold compresses honey alternate for 1/2 an hour, time consuming but it really works

sallystrawberry Tue 30-May-06 11:52:42

sallystrawberry Tue 30-May-06 12:11:28

sallystrawberry Tue 30-May-06 12:13:53

sallystrawberry Tue 30-May-06 12:23:22

Piffle Tue 30-May-06 15:55:33

Glad it helped SS. I used to suffer from recurring acute sinusitus a few years ago - I was on anti b's for so long I decided to go to homeopath instead.
The compresses make the pain bearable and somehow relieve the tubes
Drinking lots of luke warm water is supposed to be good too

I also have very sore sinuses atm due to nasty cold/flu bug going round our house so am using the method too
Get well and hope the revision is going ok

sallystrawberry Tue 30-May-06 15:56:56

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: