Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Fag Packets....what do you think they should have on them?

(25 Posts)
charliecat Sat 27-May-06 12:26:53

vote here

gothicmama Sat 27-May-06 12:29:17

i like the baby one -
and the teeth one as they affect women more t

PiccadillyCircus Sat 27-May-06 12:37:34

Voted

CorrieDale Sun 28-May-06 20:37:48

voted

SenoraPostrophe Sun 28-May-06 20:38:33

i don't think it'll make a blind bit of difference.

SenoraPostrophe Sun 28-May-06 20:39:00

do you remember death cigarettes? they sold quite well.

charliecat Sun 28-May-06 20:39:29

it might give teenagers a bit of back up...No thanks...WTF would I want to risk getting teeth like that for...maybe...

willow2 Sun 28-May-06 20:40:11

The picture I took of my mum when she was in intensive care. Took it so that if she ever smoked again I could show her what she had looked like.

charliecat Sun 28-May-06 20:40:34

how is your mum willow?

willow2 Sun 28-May-06 20:44:10

She's home and on the mend - but has had two more hospital stays and one more operation since her "big" hospital experience. But she is getting there and they reckon that is it now, thank God. She's off to Majorca for a holiday any minute now - didn't think that was going to be on the cards back in January! Thanks for asking xx

charliecat Sun 28-May-06 20:44:50

aww excellent My mums still smoking

expatinscotland Sun 28-May-06 20:45:52

people just stop looking at the package after a while.

besides, the hardcore smokers all get theirs from other EU nations, anyhow, w/o the graphic warnings.

Blandmum Sun 28-May-06 20:48:07

People just can't take on board that it can happen to them. This is particularly true of younger smokers, and most smokers start before the age of 18.

They will all agree that the pictures are dreadful, but heart of hearts, they don't think that it will ever happen to them

charliecat Sun 28-May-06 20:49:10

and they also think that its that foul that they wont possibly spend the next 30 years doing it. But many do.

RobertdeNiroswaiting Sun 28-May-06 20:50:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blandmum Sun 28-May-06 20:50:33

I have spoken to lots of teenagers who smoke. They all confidently tell me that they will quit before it does them 'serious' damage. Yeh, right, every smoker knows how easy it is to quit, right?

Blandmum Sun 28-May-06 20:51:22

Robertdeniro.....I can tell which kids live with smokers because even their school books smell of smoke!

charliecat Sun 28-May-06 20:51:42

Yep, I said to my mum, What are you waiting for?
The doctor to tell you its too late?

Blandmum Sun 28-May-06 20:54:27

My dearest cousin's husband was a heavy smoker. He gave up overnight after having a heart attack. The doctor told him that the position of the attack was totaly conclusive for being caused by the cigarettes. Cousins dh asked how long he would live if he continued to smoke. the doc looked him in the eye and said '5-6 weeks'. He quit.

He tells anyone who asks that quitting is easy. you just have to wake up in the ambulance with the paramedics having shocked you back to life

expatinscotland Sun 28-May-06 20:56:07

My dad also gave up like that, martian. After an astonishing 52 years of smoking!

In his case, his blood pressure went up so high, it damaged his optic nerve.

He was going to lose sight in the eye if he didn't stop.

End of.

I think they need to warn people about the possibilty of blindness from smoking.

charliecat Sun 28-May-06 20:57:38

I have the oddest feeling my mums gonna be one of those ones who either doesnt get a 2nd chance, or stupidly, shamefully, continues to smoke anyway
Theres nothing I can do. I cant stop for her. I have cryed in front of her begging her to stop.
My kids will worry about her when they realise what shes doing to herself like I did all those years ago...
Aw well

Blandmum Sun 28-May-06 20:59:20

I play a game with the kids I teach when we 'do' smoking.

At the start of the lesson they all take a ticket.....half of them 'live' and half 'die'. These are the odd for smoking. We then talk about the things that kill you.

The ones that 'live' are very cocky. they all get to take another ticket and it covers blindness, double amputations, impotence, rotten teeth, mc and small for dates babies and being poor.....over £2000 a year for many smokers.

It blows their minds. then I finish with some very horrid pictures.

It may well not work, but none of them can say that they were never told the risks

RobertdeNiroswaiting Sun 28-May-06 21:02:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Arabica Mon 29-May-06 19:33:04

voted--when I was a smoker I would have been more influenced by the helpline ones than the scary pix.

LadyWitchofWaterford Mon 29-May-06 19:49:16

Voted. The thing about smoking is that if anything, people underestimate the risks and think it won't happen to them and as Allen Carr says, the only people who read warnings/listen to stuff about giving up are non or ex smokers, smokers often bury their heads in the sand, I know I did.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: