Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Went swimming last week, been deaf since.

(22 Posts)
waterfalls Fri 26-May-06 14:18:58

Just got back from our hols, whilst there I went into the pool the first day, ans still have water in my ear that just will not come out, a load came out on the flight back, but I can still feel water in there and I cant hear any better,I cant get into the doctors til Tuesday, any idea what they will do? I think I may have a perforated eardrum but how will they get the water out?

tissy Fri 26-May-06 14:25:58

here it says to use a hairdryer set on low, or rubbing alcohol .

Assume you tried lying on that side to let it drain out?

LotosEater Fri 26-May-06 14:31:38

SwimEar is quite good and you can buy it over the counter - but do not use if you have a perforated eardrum

waterfalls Fri 26-May-06 14:41:32

Thanks for the links, yep I lie on the side of the blocked ear but it does'nt help, if I stand on my head, (I was desperaste) I can feel the water running and my hearing comes back, but it does'nt come out of my ear and when I stand bacvk up I can feel the water running back down

chapsmum Fri 26-May-06 15:26:47

The water causes wax in the ears to expand so it is probably the wax you can feel rather than the water.
you can buy cerumol over the counter that will help to loosen the wax.

chapsmum Fri 26-May-06 15:27:20

ment to say or the wax has expanded and trapped some of the wter in...

bogwobbit Fri 26-May-06 15:50:06

I had this a couple of years ago. When I eventally got round to going to my GPs, he syringed (sp?) my ear. Haven't had any problem wince then.

waterfalls Fri 26-May-06 23:47:20

Now the side of my neck and jaw is aching, does anyone think this is too minor to go to out of hours surgery tomorrow?

chapsmum Fri 26-May-06 23:50:18

sound like you are a bit bunged up round the area, have you had any decongestants.
are you feeling fluey at all?

chapsmum Fri 26-May-06 23:53:06

Although having re-read you post.
I am alway wary of catchin ear infections frm foreign pools, you just never know how the hygiene regulations compaire.
Wouldnt hurt to have them looked at.

waterfalls Fri 26-May-06 23:56:26

We stayed with my mum and stepdad (they live in Lanzarote) it is there pool and they are very hot on hygiene, as soon as I went under the water and came back up I went very very dizzy, so I think somrthing must have been already wrong with my ear.

waterfalls Fri 26-May-06 23:59:27

my ear is now continuously leaking, but not feeling any less bunged up, and hearing not improving.

chapsmum Sat 27-May-06 00:00:25

ahh I see, In that case if you are otherwise well, you could try some brufen, an decogesteant antihisamine type thing from the chemist and som e cerumol?
Also warm som olive oil on the back of a warm spoon as you get your dh to drizzel some in your ear.
massage behind the ear and ly on your side with that ear fcing up for at least 15 mins.

If you dont feel well pain is unbarable or symptoms dont imporve with this, I dont think it would be inappropirate to go to out of ours.

chapsmum Sat 27-May-06 00:01:27

you usally dont get pain once an ear drum has pefroated but you could have a foreign body (insect??) stuck in your ear or something

waterfalls Sat 27-May-06 00:01:53

Oooh thanks, will try those things

waterfalls Sat 27-May-06 00:02:22

ewwwwwwwwwww, not I feel queasy

waterfalls Sat 27-May-06 00:02:54

now...............even

chapsmum Sat 27-May-06 00:03:25

sorry, just dont want you getting a raging infection from beaties that look like this!

chapsmum Sat 27-May-06 00:03:41

beasties, even

waterfalls Sat 27-May-06 00:04:49

lol

waterfalls Sat 27-May-06 13:57:34

I keep going dizzy now, so have made an appointment for later this afternoon.

waterfalls Sat 27-May-06 19:39:58

I have got a perfaorated eardrum, and infection was setting in, am now on antibiotics.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: