Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Chicken pox - best to get it over and done with?

(13 Posts)
Ironmaiden Fri 26-May-06 13:40:11

Is chicken pox an inevitable part of childhood?
My nephew has it at the moment and we r due to visit the in-laws tonight, my SIL lives next door and regularly visits with her son.
Can my dd catch it from being in same house as he's been in?

I'm just wondering if I should just get them together and have her catch it so it's over and done with while she's too young to remember it.
Is that an absurd idea?

desperatehousewife Fri 26-May-06 13:41:11

that's what I did with my ds when he was about 2.5yrs old. Glad its out the way to be honest.

Twiglett Fri 26-May-06 13:41:35

can't catch from same house ..

I would .. it is fairly inevitable and milder the younger they get it (in general)

I exposed DS to cpox 4 times before he caught it aged 4 then gave it to DD who was under 1 .. am glad its over and done with now

Twiglett Fri 26-May-06 13:42:15

exposed him from the age of 18 months I meant .. he just never caught it until 4

brimfull Fri 26-May-06 13:44:35

I would as it's a pain if you're going on holiday.Bear in mind it takes 10-14 days to come out.They are most infectious the day before the spots and until spots scab over.I found my ds was quite poorly for a few days so if that worries you don't expose her.

brimfull Fri 26-May-06 13:46:23

If your child has excema I'd avoid it can become seriously infected.

Ironmaiden Fri 26-May-06 13:49:39

Bugger, I'm due to have a weekend away in 2 weeks time, my first on my own since dd was born, I'd be so gutted to miss it...

Twiglett Fri 26-May-06 13:51:07

so don't get them together .. more pox'll come along at a more convenient time

BagelBird Fri 26-May-06 13:56:19

In America they offer a vaccination as it is treated as a serious illness, can lead to (rare) very nasty complications.
One of mine were very ill for over a week. So dehydrated and hot that if it got any worse they would have taken into hospital. She also has nasty permanent scarring. She had spots on the insides of her eyelids, all down her throat etc etc
She was young so the idea of younger and milder is not always true.

Twiglett Fri 26-May-06 13:57:46

vaccines don't offer lifelong immunity

Twiglett Fri 26-May-06 13:59:33

missed out the always

vaccines don't always offer lifelong immunity

SaintGeorge Fri 26-May-06 14:02:08

Neither does the disease itself, despite popular opinion.

Clure Fri 26-May-06 21:00:57

I'm not sure if my DD has chicken pox. Can they get it mildly? She has had a couple of spots on her legs, then they've disappeared and a few more have appeared. She has been poorly with cold/cough. Also has a horrendous case of nappy rash - it's never been this bad, it's spotty and she's desperate to scratch there. Any advice?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: