Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Oh *rse! Now the baby has threadworms too.

(20 Posts)
sassy Fri 26-May-06 08:19:12

Dd1 has had these and we have all had dose no1 of Vermox which seems to have done the trick. Not suitable for dd2 (aged 16mo), so was told to wait and keep an eye on nappies.

Well there were wigglers in there this morning. Great.

Does anyone know what the treatment is for under 2s - and how horrid it is for them? (Hideous memories of Pripsen as a child..)

TIA.

sassy Fri 26-May-06 10:52:45

bumping this

JonesTheSteam Fri 26-May-06 10:55:04

I think you have to take them to the Doctor to get treatment.

I thought DS had them here a while ago, and my sister was staying with us with her baby (8 months). The pharmacist told her to keep an eye on him and if he showed any symptoms to take him to the doctors for treatment.

We all took over the counter remedy from Boots.

But to be honest I think I was panicking and he didn't actually have them [insert paranoid mum emoticon here!!!]

SnowBoo Fri 26-May-06 10:55:26

Don't talk to me about Pripsen! We actually have to have a stash of it on standby. Seems to be a monthly thing! Wouldn't mind but ds is very good at cleaning his hands after playing, before eating and after the toilet! Dr reckons its from the playdough at nursery where another child isn't quite as clean....

I think it will be Pripsen for the LO. Want me to check the label for minimum age?

sassy Fri 26-May-06 11:11:25

Have spoken to nurse at GPs surgery and she' leaving a presrciption for the dreaded Pripsen.

SnowBoo - how do you get it into your LOs? I can remember the taste and texture being so foul I would gag trying to get it down - and there was quite a lot of it too - a good egg cup full.

Yuk, poor dd2.

SnowBoo Fri 26-May-06 17:19:43

i stick it in milk, ds thinks its some sort of magic milkshake to make him grow big and strong! Still tastes as foul as ever thou. But he drinks it no prob.
Good luck....!

spidermama Fri 26-May-06 17:25:05

Eurch. My kids got worms whilst on holiday in France. I had to go into the chemist and say ..

(Excuse the crap French ...)

Erm ... c'est tres embarrassent. Mes enfant avent les vers, dans les derriers. Aves vous du medicin?

foxinsocks Fri 26-May-06 17:25:08

is it the banana tasting one? don't tell her it's horrid. I told mine it was like a banana milkshake (it is sort of). It has a nasty after taste so if poss, stuff a choccy button in her mouth or give her a sip of strong tasting juice to wash the residue away. Good luck!

foxinsocks Fri 26-May-06 17:25:53

vers dans les derriers

aah, it sound so poetic in French

sugarfree Fri 26-May-06 17:46:07

My mother was convinced that DS1 had threadworms when he was a toddler.Turned out the thermal boxershorts he had on were making him itch.(I discovered after we'd all been treated,naturally)

SnowBoo Fri 26-May-06 21:37:59

Pripsen is more like strawberry (so i'm told, allergic to them so couldn't tell you for sure!) and it is a nasty pink colour. Tastes awful.
On another note, how DO you stop them catching it?? Poor ds is very prone to it.

sugarfree Fri 26-May-06 21:46:30

Good hand hygiene before meals and after toilet particularly.Keep nails short and clean.

Oh,and my nan used to tell me if I ate sugar out of the sugarbowl it would give me worms but i suspect that may be cobblers

SnowBoo Fri 26-May-06 21:48:48

At home our hygiene is very strict. It seems nursery aren't too hot on it thou. I'm an obsessive hand washer

sugarfree Fri 26-May-06 21:52:13

Nursery would be your culprit then I suspect,it probably just goes round and round reinfecting everyone
<barf>
Can't you have a word?

SnowBoo Sat 27-May-06 10:40:58

Have tried but it seems to fall on deaf ears! He is moving to a new nursery soon so fingers crossed this will remedy the problem.

Is baby ok now Sassy?

foxinsocks Sat 27-May-06 10:49:16

it's very contagious - even those with scrupulous hygiene get worms!

ds has a sandpit in his nursery class and I'm sure that's where the worms come from!

you need to wash all the bed linen/towels on a hot wash and clean all the door handles, hoover the bedrooms excessively for a while and make sure your little ones have pants on at night so they can't scratch their bums

EmmyLou Sat 27-May-06 11:39:09

Apparently worms hate garlic, peas, pineapples, carrots, pawpaw, figs, pommegranates and pumpkin seeds so could try encouraging children to eat these or take garlic capsules if old enough to discourage reinfection. God did I hate that pink milky stuff as a child - my mum would make it into a milkshake but i hated milk. Makes me shudder thinking about it.

SnowBoo Sun 28-May-06 14:35:14

And due to being pg my nesting has gone mad. You could eat your dinner off my floor! Actually, prob get disinfectant poisoning or something!

Will try the garlic thing as its horrendous.

sassy Mon 29-May-06 09:29:15

We bit the bullet and got it down her this morning. (Had family party over weekend and didn't want explode-a-bum there so postponed it).

Pretty dreadful to get it in. Will wait to see how it comes out....(shudder)

SnowBoo Mon 29-May-06 20:58:33

Good luck sassy! Get ready for the explosion....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: