Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Help can't get nit eggs out!

(13 Posts)
yumyummymummy Thu 25-May-06 19:07:46

DS1 and DS2 got nits about 8 weeks ago and thanks to MN i got all the stuff to deal with it and have been doing so ie combing through with niz biz, using tea tree shampoo. DS1 seems clear for several weeks now but DS2 who has long fine wavy hair unlike his brother is more of a challenge. When i comb i just get a few flies (ugh!) but you can clearly see loads of white eggs in his hair which do not come out with the comb. I reckon that they are empty but does anyone know for sure either way and also how on earth do i get rid of them -its like they're clamped on and too small to be picked up by the comb. Help please as he got sent home today from kindergarten.

Blossomhill Thu 25-May-06 19:09:07

Try putting baby oil in the hair and then using the nitty gritty comb.
Then wash hair twice with your own shampoo to get oil out.

cheltenhamgal Thu 25-May-06 19:18:12

I have this problem on and off with my dd, and the only thing that seems to work with the eggs is a nitty gritty comb or pulling them along the hair with your nails. A long and labarious process I know but the only one that works. And the louse glues them to the hair so yes they do seem as if they are clamped on. The Nitty Gritty comb is by far the best and costs £9.99 but well worth the investment. I must admit that if I had a ds instead of a dd I would keep their hair as short as possible, I have to do my dd's hair every day

williamsmummy Thu 25-May-06 19:19:27

OK nit news!

test to see if egg is alive or dead, run your nail along length of hair, if egg stuck on its alive , if its slides down, its dead.

to remove, you need a small comb, metal ones are better. use lots and lots of hair conditioner. slowly section hair and run comb 'front' and 'back' of hair. Then move on to next small section.

This has to be done every three days, as the eggs will hatch. and one week later are ok to lay eggs of there own.( oh, joy!)

I cant keep up the pace with three day scrapings in hair. so it took be nearly a year to get my daughters hair free of nasty ibits.
good luck.

cheltenhamgal Thu 25-May-06 19:21:00

ooh and just thought I would mention, none of the children at my dd's nursery ever got sent home with nits. Apparantly it is against their human rights to be singled out like that, and at dd's school they are not even allowed to send a note home with one class(as people may guess)they have to send a message in the newsletter to the whole school. They are not even allowed to tell me my child has nits, whatever happened to Nitty Nora

Blandmum Thu 25-May-06 19:21:50

to get out the shells of the hatched eggs (which you only need to do if you wish for cosmetic reasons)

Get the hair nice and wet and covered in conditioner, slide the egg sac down the full length of the hair and it will come off

cheltenhamgal Thu 25-May-06 19:23:38

I had also heard that if the egg was brown it was dead and if it is white it is live but this could well be an old wives tale

charliecat Thu 25-May-06 19:33:45

wrong way aroung, white empty, brown ready to hatch.

Blandmum Thu 25-May-06 19:44:22

agree , white when hatched

cheeseypeas Thu 25-May-06 20:31:45

I got head lice lots at primary school and when my sister (10 years younger) went to primary scool, I ended uo getting them again and again.

I used to put tonnes of conditioner in my hair and combing and combing it with a metal nit comb. I did it at least every three days and when you're sure they are gone, use a nit comb at every hair wash. You can even get electronic nit combs that buzz and stop buzzing if they catch one. They kill them on contact so could be allot destressing for kids.

yumyummymummy Thu 25-May-06 20:56:06

thank you for all your replies i am still not sure how to get the hatched white eggs out - they are not coming out when i am combing through with conditioner. Cheltenhamgal i will invest in a nitty gritty comb - and i know what you're saying but this boy has hair to die for and i can't bring myself to do it (cut it!)

Orinoco Thu 25-May-06 21:32:47

Message withdrawn

SKYTVADICT Thu 25-May-06 21:49:16

I agree with Cheltenhamgal. Pulling them along the hair between the fingers is all that works for us. Then cracking them between the nails. If they crack they were alive!! It takes a while but its worth it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: