Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

ds' rash on leg - any ideas ?

(21 Posts)
LIZS Thu 25-May-06 17:12:19

As ds went into school this morning I noticed a rash on one leg. Thought it might just have been from sitting in car but was half waiting for a phone call from the school today. However, it is still there this afternoon, is more marked with a bit on other leg and vaguely elsewhere on his hands and body. Main patch looks like sunburn up his calf with flat spotty patches elsewhere (they fade under pressure btw and he is otherwise fine).

atm, I've been to chemist and given him Piriton as assume it is a reaction but not sure what to - he played in wet grass yesterday afternoon but other than that has eaten and done nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can tell. He's 8 and has had chickenpox, scarlet fever, slapped cheek and both doses of mmr. Any ideas ?

LIZS Thu 25-May-06 17:41:01

anyone ?

Californifrau Thu 25-May-06 18:00:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Californifrau Thu 25-May-06 18:01:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chapsmum Thu 25-May-06 18:04:47

does it look like nettle rash?
Urtichairial rashes in children can appear with viral infections.
If he is otherwise well, look ar things like soap washing pwoder new food etc.

LIZS Thu 25-May-06 18:06:06

Still there but looking blotchy ! Had Piriton just over an hour ago now.

He had a fissure sealant applied to a back tooth at the dentist on Tuesday, would that be too long a time gap to react ?

chapsmum Thu 25-May-06 18:52:25

would be a pretty strage place for a rash to appear as a reaction to that.
there are a lot of weird virus' goinabout though, is it going away with the piriton?
any other symptoms?
the rash is not on his hand as well is it?

williamsmummy Thu 25-May-06 19:21:54

if it got better after the piriton, than its a allergic reaction. However that said, it may be nothing to worry about.
lots of children have higher amounts of histamine in skin than others. reacting to grass with hives does happen.
go to GP

LIZS Thu 25-May-06 19:45:15

Seems to be fading a bit now but itchier. He 's also got it on his nose (or eh may ahve caught the sun today !) and faintly on backs of his hands. Will give more Piriton at bedtime and see how he is in the morning.

chapsmum Thu 25-May-06 20:02:20

could also be something called glove and sock syndrome, caused by the parovirus same virus that causes slap cheek syndrome. Effects are usually self limiting but if he unwell you should probably have him looked at.

LIZS Thu 25-May-06 21:52:57

Can't find any pictures of "glove and hand" on google but it sounds like a more pin prick rash than ds'. Just before bed he admitted having played in some bushes, which he'll show me tomorrow. Apart from the itching he's fine.

LIZS Thu 25-May-06 21:53:19

sorry "glove and sock "

LIZS Fri 26-May-06 10:48:59

It's still there today and he now has spots on the edge of his ears . Off to gp at 11.40 !

LIZS Fri 26-May-06 12:21:55

Well that was pretty inconclusive ... could be a reaction , could be the start of a virus , wait and see and give piriton in the emantime.

chapsmum Fri 26-May-06 15:28:32

like so many kids rashes we will probably never know!!!

LIZS Fri 26-May-06 16:30:11

Saw ds' teacher this afternoon when collecting dd - another child in the class had a rash earlier in the week which was probably viral, but he didn't miss school according to ds. hmmm...

LIZS Sun 04-Jun-06 11:09:11

Strange turn of events. dd now has a similar rash on her legs today. Is it possible; she has only now got the symptoms of virus over a full week after ds ? She was at a party yesterday playing in woodland - bare arms and legs - so could have coincidentally reacted to something there.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 04-Jun-06 11:35:52

First thing I thought of was a possible tick bite as it's on the leg.

LIZS Sun 04-Jun-06 11:39:07

can't see any particular point for a bite . Justa general redness liek sunburn , now fadign on her legs but still on her arms. Would be ironic though as we lived for 4 years in a high risk area for FSME

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 04-Jun-06 11:47:56

Ticks are so tiny you would not see any particular bite mark; the tick uses a "probe" on its body to get through the skin . As a rash has occured I would ask the medical staff about the possibility of either one or both of them being bitten by a tick.

Many people think that tick infection is uncommon in the UK - it is becoming increasingly seen in this country and habitat like woodland, long grass on commons etc is ideal for them.

On a different tack altogether I think schools should be made aware of possible tick infection particularly if they let their young charges run around in long grass without being covered up.

LIZS Mon 05-Jun-06 10:08:11

The ones I'm used to hearing of would be visible and produce a distictive bullseye rash. Surely the chances of both of them having been bitten by a tick, on separate occasions, would be fairly small but will keep an eye on it. Kept dd off school today as she looks sunburnt on her arms and face, and is itchy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: