Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Verucca - how to shift stubborn ones

(9 Posts)
AdiVic Thu 30-May-13 09:29:53

Hello - I am getting pretty desperate here, I have a verucca right on the ball of my foot, every step is agony, it is making me walk on the side of my foot, which in turn has made all of my tendons up the side of my leg hurt, and now I have a bad knee. I have now had it for 2 years since I was pregnant and I can bear it no longer, it keeps me awake at night, it makes me grumpy, I can't walk far, can't go to the local exercise class, can't wear any shoes apart from trainers or flat soft soled shoes.

My Doc says there is nothing I can do apart from regular freezing (not working). I have tried covering it with gaffa tape, but that just slips off, I have tried Bazuka (which apparently doesn't work), I have tried painting it with nail varnish. I can remember when I was young there was a cream you put on within a circular dressing which made it white and soft, but that doesn't seem to be available any more. I have also been told they go on their own accord, but 2 years is taking the mickey and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Any advice or ideas really gratefully received

EdwiniasRevenge Thu 30-May-13 09:34:23

Banana skin.

Flesh side down

Held on with plasters

Change every 24hrs.

(The cream you used to use was essentially bazooka. You can buy the corn plasters separately which to keep the cream localised - new gel formulas stay where they are put without. They might also cushion the verucca)

fasterthanthewind Thu 30-May-13 09:41:17

Have had mine 16 years now.
Lost track of no of tubes of stuff I've been through
Freezing seems to work, but it just comes back again
You can still get the tuff that makes them go white and sqishy, it's bazooka extra strength-didn't work for me tho...

moonbells Thu 30-May-13 09:42:45

I used the scholl verucca gel on a pair of the things and after it had dried a bit, covered it with plaster every day, replacing it twice. I bought rolls of plaster - they're cheaper. Whenever it looked like a layer of skin was about to come off, I peeled it carefully and then bunged on more gel and plaster to the exposed core. Didn't let up. I got through a lot of plasters but they went inside a year.

And I will never ever go into a soft play to rescue DS with no socks on again. Ever.

AgathaF Thu 30-May-13 09:53:36

I had one for 10 years. Tried all the lotions and potions, freezing, regular chiropodist visits etc - none of that worked at all. The banana skin thing shrunk it. Then I used duct tape, held in place with a couple of plasters. It went about a month after I decided to not bother trying anything else on it.

AdiVic Thu 30-May-13 09:57:41

thank yousmile I picked it up at a local pool - one of the mums was saying her varucca riddled child hated wearing the socks, so she didn't bother putting them on him. This was a week after I went, then Bingo! Will give all the above a gosmile

AgathaF Thu 30-May-13 10:14:21

You could try apple cider vinegar too - loads of stuff on t'web about it.

HolgerDanske Thu 30-May-13 10:16:59

The only thing that has ever worked for my kiddies is tea tree oil, neat, applied directly to the wart/verruca with a cotton bud. Morning and evening. They usually die off pretty quickly, maybe a week or two?

But I've never tried the banana skin or the duct tape.

Fragglewump Thu 30-May-13 10:32:17

The duct tape occlusion method is now the method of choice according to my gp. My dd had loads and after a couple of weeks of duct tape they went! Apparently you can speed up the process by pumicing them down in the bath between reapplying tape but I never remembered to do that bit and it still worked!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: