Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

carpal tunnel syndrome after birth

(14 Posts)
chokky Thu 25-May-06 12:20:13

I had carpal tunnel syndrome towards the end of my pregancy and i was assured it would go away once my baby was born. During the birth i had a drip put in on the same wirst. it's 4 weeks since i gave birth now and the pain in worse than when i was pregnant. been to GP several times and had also been given now its even getting difficult to look after baby as picking her up hurts. Anu advice anyone?

lua Thu 25-May-06 12:24:18

ChoKKy,
no personal experience, but I had friends that have CTS and they uses a "wrist cast" kind of thing (... you know, that thing that keep the wrist in position....) with success.
Maybe that can help?

foxinsocks Thu 25-May-06 12:24:47

I too had it for ages after the birth (and throughout the pregnancy). I was told there is a simple operation they can do but they don't do it unless it is really bad or has been going on for ages. I think mine started getting better once I stopped having to pick up my child so much - so say around 2 (not quite sure).

Have they given you wrist splints? I used to sleep with them on when it got particularly bad and they really do help.

chokky Thu 25-May-06 12:28:50

No not been given wrist splints. Don't think I can cope with it for 2 years - I'm starting to dread picking baby up becuase of the pain and also worried in case i drop her

geogteach Thu 25-May-06 12:37:05

I had this after DS1 first got anti inflamitaries then referal to hospital where they gave me a steriod injection - very painful at the time but cured by the next day. I had also had CTS as a teenager when I had a job that involved peeling potatoes and had the injection then too.

chokky Thu 25-May-06 12:39:39

how log does the effect of the steroid injection last for? Did you have to wait long before being refered to hospital?

foxinsocks Thu 25-May-06 12:40:21

I couldn't have the injection or the pills because I was breastfeeding at the time so if you are chokky, you'll need to ask the GP (things may have moved on since my day).

Definitely get the splints - they do make a difference (you can wear them during the day aswell). It is unbelievably painful.

foxinsocks Thu 25-May-06 12:42:06

actually, I've got that wrong. I wasn't allowed the injection because I got pregnant with my second child not because I was breastfeeding!

chokky Thu 25-May-06 12:43:24

Not breastfeeding so maybe i can have injection sooner. Can you wear splints while looking after baby - doesn't it make picking her up etc difficult?

foxinsocks Thu 25-May-06 12:47:03

you can but it does inhibit your movement

also, check that you don't have this - de quervains . I always thought it was carpal tunnel but it was the physio I saw who told me it was almost certainly de quearvains. Not that the doctor said or did anything differently but it made sense when I read the symptoms! This is also quite useful on carpal tunnel .

foxinsocks Thu 25-May-06 12:48:44

sorry, ignore the breastfeeding bit on that carpal tunnel - the treatment section is the interesting bit!

geogteach Thu 25-May-06 14:33:24

I had injection after DS1, he is now 5 and i've had no trouble since including 2 more pregnancies. Think Dr made me rty tablets and then refered when they didn't work

Monkeysmom Thu 25-May-06 15:46:19

I also had CTS during and after pregnancy. Luckily, I am BUPA insured through work and got to see a consultant very quickly. I had the steroid injection but the pain came back within 6 months. I had the injection again and has not come back since, it’s been two years now. The injections are v painful but you feel great the next day.

corblimeymadam Sun 28-May-06 19:37:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: