Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Quick question: Does the Portland Hospital have a cafe or shop?

(5 Posts)
IlanaK Wed 24-May-06 19:57:13

I will be there all day Friday for my son to have routine surgery. Do they have a cafe so we can get something to eat? Or is there a shop to buy him a balloon or something? My local NHS hospital has all these things so I assumed a private one would, but I can't find anything on their website.

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Wed 24-May-06 20:01:18

Not sure about cafe (but they do very nice food, had salmon whilst visiting a friend who had given birth); they definitely have a shop on the maternity ward- I think it does balloons.

Anchovy Wed 24-May-06 20:26:48

No cafe, I think. Food for inpatients is FANTASTIC, but I guess you may not get it if day surgery, although they were really good about bringing it for anyone (guests etc) at any time of the day and at short notice. In any case, there is a Pret a Manger literally over the road from the main building. Shop is only a "newborn gifty" type shop and IIRC has rather strange hours.

IlanaK Wed 24-May-06 21:28:41

Thanks for that. I will sned dh out to Pret then and maybe visit the maternity section for a balloo for the little one.

Anchovy Wed 24-May-06 21:38:20

If you have a chance to get out for longer (and I do appreciate it is not primarily an opportunity for a dining experience and you may have other things on your mind) there is a great restaurant/deli, Villandry, just down the road on the other side.

The night before DS was born I had to check in at 7pm and they told me I could go out for supper if I wanted (I was scheduled for an extremely routine CS the next day at 40 weeks with no complications other than a baby with a huge head) and I had a very small supper there and a glass of champagne . It was a very happy experience.

Good luck for you and your little one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: