Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can't get rid of the nits :(

(9 Posts)
SoTiredAgain Sun 26-May-13 11:25:53

So, we had head lice so diligent use of the nitty gritty means that all live lice are gone from our head. Been wet combing for nearly three weeks. Everyone in the family, apart from me, have got rid of the eggs too.

I have still loads of eggs and I'm still itchy, although its not as bad as it was. I have incredibly think, curly long hair. I feel like its never going to go. sad

Hardhaton Sun 26-May-13 11:27:56

Have you tried tea tree shampoo, you need prolonged use of it, but it works or citronella oil.

SoTiredAgain Sun 26-May-13 11:30:47

Yes, I'm using tea tree shampoo.

mrssprout Sun 26-May-13 11:40:32

Are you trying to comb it yourself ? If so could you get someone to have a go for you ? It may be easier for someone else to get all over your hair.

Hardhaton Sun 26-May-13 11:42:54

Ok stupid thing here but I saw a thing on fb the other day about putting old tights or simuler on the end of a Hoover tube and basically hoovering the hair, anything then the comb misses will get picked up

TheConstantLurker Sun 26-May-13 11:50:53

During our last invasion I used Lyclear. It was the only product that worked in the end. Used it about three times in a row, leaving it on fr a looooong time.
Then always use the Vosene tea tree lice repelling shampoo on the children. No lice for two years now although some of that has to be luck.

wundawoman Sun 26-May-13 11:52:43

Have you tried hair conditioner? After washing the hair with shampoo, put loads of conditioner on and leave it awhile, then comb hair to remove as much conditioner as possible (removing the nits & eggs too!). Do this every couple of days for 2 weeks to break the cycle. I found this was the only thing that worked long term!! Good luck!

SoTiredAgain Sun 26-May-13 12:04:47

Yes, I've been using hair conditioner smile and have been very diligent.

mrssprout. I have been trying to do it myself. I will ask DH to help me next time. I really feel like chopping all my hair off!

Does this mean the family have to carry on doing wet combing until I get rid of it from my hair? Everyone is fed up of it. But needs must.

lljkk Sun 26-May-13 12:10:57

Shouldn't have to comb out everyone if you can avoid touching heads with any of them, that's how the feckers spread.

I am convert to Hedrin but only worth the expense for awkward hair (sounds like yours qualifies).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now