Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

New advice about healthy cooking methods

(18 Posts)
Earlybird Wed 24-May-06 11:06:10

A doctor friend in America sent me this, and I thought it was worth sharing with all of you. Some of it was obviously paraphrased from a telly interview, but the message is clear.

Cancer update -- Johns Hopkins --
Cancer News from Johns Hopkins:

1. No plastic containers in microwave
2. No water bottles in freezer
3. No plastic wrap in microwave

Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in its newsletters. This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center as well.

Dioxin chemicals cause cancer, especially breast cancer. Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies. Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic.

Recently, Dr. Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital, was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers. This especially applies to foods that contain fat. He
said that the combination of fat, high heat, and
plastics release dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body. Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex, or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, only without the dioxin. So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the
paper. It's just safer to use tempered glass, etc. He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons. Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. as the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food.
Cover food with a paper towel instead.

expatinscotland Wed 24-May-06 11:07:03

cheers for this, earlybird.

and bump!

madmarchhare Wed 24-May-06 11:10:53

Oh god, something else to feel bad about.

Blu Wed 24-May-06 11:13:40

I do honestly think this one is worth taking notice of. I have known for some time about this....dioxins are also notorious for causing limb deficiencies in unborn kids...the number of plastic bottles I froze to keep cool on Greek beaches thoughout my 20s and 30s haunts me.
Dioxins are fat soluable, so stay in the body, too. I saw a documentary where they tested women to see how much they had absorbed - it wa quite significant.

Gloworm Wed 24-May-06 11:22:28

i've known about this for some time. when using the miocrowave, we always put the food in a bowl and cover with a plate.

peachyClair Wed 24-May-06 11:50:39

I remember something about this too from when I worked for Macmillan cancer relief its genuine I think. And glass / ceramic bowls so cheap in plaes like Wilkinsons.

Send my kids to school with sarnies wrapped in paper, but school complained. And I ignored .

madmarchhare Wed 24-May-06 11:54:42

Just realised that my post could read as being sarcastic , it really wasnt meant to be.

motherinferior Wed 24-May-06 12:00:04

EB, what is recommended to freeze food in (thinks uncomfortably of large number of freezer bags in our freezer)...?

expatinscotland Wed 24-May-06 12:05:55

Yikes, MI! Good point. I make baby food and freeze it in plastic ice cube trays, then pop the cubes out into a plastic zippy bag, then defrost it in plastic bowls and heat it in the microwave .

I don't microwave EBM, but I do freeze it in plastic containers.

Earlybird Wed 24-May-06 12:15:57

Gosh MI - don't know. Wrap in foil?

ruty Wed 24-May-06 14:47:18

Don't have a microwave. Hate the things. Someone sue me!

but i do worry about this too. Don't use clingfilm either, but plastic is all around us and impossible to avoid on so many levels. Good advice though.

SenoraPostrophe Wed 24-May-06 15:01:09

isn't that why cling film is now PVC free?

Also I thought it was only scratched plastic you had to worry about?

saadia Wed 24-May-06 15:25:33

Thanks for the info Earlybird will definitely not be using plastic anymore.

PanicPants Wed 24-May-06 15:28:10

Expat, thats exactly what I do.

What do you cover your ice cube trays with? I use cling film but maybe I shouldn't.

God I've given my child cancer!

PanicPants Wed 24-May-06 15:33:15

What about the melomine (sp) bowls? are they safe to heat food in the microwave?

Gingerbear Wed 24-May-06 15:34:48

there is some truth in this - but not totally - see here

MrsBadgerTheCelloPedaller Wed 24-May-06 15:37:48

[scientist hat on - seem to be wearing it a lot lately!]

This email has been exposed as mostly urban legend by Snopes , though it does have a basis in fact.

Real information about this actually issued by Johns Hopkins themselves is here .
There was also an article in the peer-reviewed journal 'Pediatric Nursing' in December - I'm trying to find a copy of the full text at the moment.

Doctors are just as gullible when it comes to forwarded emails as anyone else.

Gingerbear Wed 24-May-06 15:38:20

Also, dioxins cannot migrate from plastic into food at freezing temperatures?!?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: