Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Best shoes for plantar fasciitis?

(14 Posts)
mrsyattering Fri 24-May-13 12:00:52

That's it really, since the weather has been better, and out of winter boots I have severe pain in my heels. What are the best shoes to help the pain?

vintagecakeisstillnice Fri 24-May-13 16:53:18

I hate to say this as I'll most likely be shot. . . But when I was bad with PF the only foot ware that helped was Crocs. . . . Sorry

MollyNollyNoo Fri 24-May-13 23:26:10

I wear Ecco or Gabor, Ecco are getting much better looking (they used to just do old lady looking shoes). I had PF diagnosed after wearing flip flops a lot when I was pg with DC1 in the summer time. I wore Ecco when I was pg with DC3 and my feet were fine. Apparently you need sandals that are supportive and where you don't need to scrunch your toes to keep the sandals on.

I'm not sure about Gabor sandals but their shoes and boots are ok.

cornypedicure Fri 24-May-13 23:33:02

clogs
there are some nice ones on amazon
here for example

cocolepew Fri 24-May-13 23:41:53

Birkinstocks, I suffered hortibly withit one summer and was able to walk around NYC in my Birkies no problem.

cocolepew Fri 24-May-13 23:43:21

My workmate swears by Crocs for it too.

nurseneedshelp Fri 24-May-13 23:47:43

Anything with a little heal/wedge

Toughasoldboots Fri 24-May-13 23:58:00

I am in agony with this, the only shoes that seem to relieve it are fit flops with quite a high wedge.

My bloody dh can't appreciate how much pain I am in, I have taken to crawling about at times.

mrswishywashy Sat 25-May-13 10:05:06

I suffered awful pain after treatment from a ruptured archillies tendon, the pain is immense.

I can now only wear good quality trainers and occasionally birkies although I can't have them on all day as I could before. I also limit just walking barefoot something which I love.

Things to help go online and search stretching exercises specifically for PF. Use painkillers to stop swelling. Rest with feet up. Massage.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Sat 25-May-13 10:49:47

Good advice Mrswishywashy

Listen it's not really to do with the company making the shoe. It's to do with the style of the shoe, that said, some companies only do good shoes (like Ecco, Hotter and a few others) mentioned further up thread.

Go for a shoe with good shock absorption, with a small heel at the rear foot, 2-3 centimetres (not a high heel). Look for one that attaches to the foot and has some sort of formed insole.
Avoid going barefoot, not even to get up at night, stretch the plantar fascia and the Gastrocnemius (calf muscle). You can find stretches on line.

Roll your foot over a frozen can twice a day to reduce inflammation and massage at the same time.

If it doesn't get any better see a Podiatrist for Orthoses.

blueberryupsidedown Sat 25-May-13 14:41:39

What made a real difference for me is to roll my foot on a can of pop kept in the fridge. I'd do that a two-three times a day and it made a real noticable difference. Stretch as Theaccidental says, but in terms of shoes, what worked for me was New Balance trainers and walking shoes. THey have a helpline you can call and will tell you which shoes are best for plantar fasciitis. I have both their trainers and walking shoes, they have a stabilising 'bar' in the shoe which stops me to over or under pronate. It's called 'motion control' bar, and it worked for me. I have the walking shoes 956 and the trainers 770.

I know that others have been helped by Crocs or birkies, but for me they are the worst shoes and I think that it's birkies that caused me pain in the first place. The heel is positioned too low in proportion to the front of the foot. Also sandals don't provide any support for the rest of the foot. It took my foot two years to heal properly, and I started running again just 3 months ago. I stretch really well before and after running on a step by putting my toes on the step and put my weight on the heels to stretch the calf muscles.

mrsyattering Sun 26-May-13 09:43:39

thanks for all the replies and tips. I've looked at hotter, but im 39 & my 70 year old aunt get hers from there grin found some old crocs flip flops with a small wedge yesterday and I was pain free. I have fit flops, and have wore them for years but they seem to aggravate it now. so crocs for nowshock

mrsyattering Sun 26-May-13 09:54:16

I also got little shock absorbing insoles things ti put in my converse which helped a bit. but I know I will need to get a proper supporting shoe

hiddenhome Sun 26-May-13 10:43:38

Skechers shape ups have helped mine enormously. I ended up with it after wearing Birkinstocks which have no cushioning at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now