Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

tooth abscess

(13 Posts)
Orchidlady Fri 24-May-13 09:16:41

OMG I am in agony, not slept for 2 days. On course of Amoxicillin and taking Ibuprofen and paracetamol but not touching the pain, literally sitting here crying. Can I get stronger pain killers over the counter. I am off on holiday on Sunday and terrified flying is going to make the pain worse. Please any advise?

MsUumellmahaye Fri 24-May-13 09:23:16

you need to get to the dentist, are you registered with one? depending on how badly damaged the tooth is it either needs to be root treated (would only be started at this stage) or extracted, phone nhs 24 if you are not registered, good luck x

Orchidlady Fri 24-May-13 09:32:14

I saw the dentist on Wend, not tooth decay but have gum disease and this abscess hence the AB's and recommendation of pain killers, just don't seem to hitting to spot. Think it can be treated. Taken 2 x 256 Ibuprofen and 2 x 550g of Paracetamol but not touching it. ouch!

AMumInScotland Fri 24-May-13 09:48:26

There's a better kind you can get from the pharmacist but I can't remember the name. It's stronger than the codeine you can get from them, and they'll only give you 3 (maybe 5?) days supply because it's powerful stuff. Wish I could remember the name, it's an opiate, Dh got some from the pharmacist for a dental abcess, but had to convince them he was in agony before they let him have it.

But if you are off for a week or two, I think you also need to see the dentist again to see what else they can do, as you don't want to be going through this abroad.

Orchidlady Fri 24-May-13 10:09:16

Right am off to Chemist later, I think the AB's will start ti wirk but probably take a few days to kick in, so something to kill the pain for a few days would be ideal, thanks amum

Orchidlady Fri 24-May-13 11:34:14

I have just called the dental practice asking if they could precribe stringer pain killers for a few days until the AB' kick in and they said know. Would need to contact GP to get something stronger, only to be told this morning by GP that I need to contact Dental practice aaagh!! any idea's?

MrsMorton Fri 24-May-13 11:52:58

Did they drain the abscess? Can you see it?

Orchidlady Fri 24-May-13 13:25:34

MrsM no did not drain can not see. No swelling said have abscess on top ( I thought is was on the bottom and gum infection. Can't believe it is so painful. Been back in touch with the GP and found a sympathetic ear, have been given stronger anti inflam drug instead of ibupofen, hope this will work

FossilMum Fri 24-May-13 13:35:47

Oh poor you, DH had something like this last year and it was awful. Cracked tooth. First had it drilled and filled and advised to take normal painkillers. Went back a few days later as pain unbearable and emerged with antibiotics. Went back again a few days later and emerged with a prescription for a type of co-codamol (paracetamol plus codeine) stronger than you can get over the counter. Went back again a few days later and they decided to pull the tooth. It turned out to have a cavity beneath the gum line; they weren't sure why they hadn't spotted it on the original X-ray. He felt loads better once they took the wretched thing out. It was a back molar and the gap doesn't notice at all.

Anyway, I hope yours goes better than this and they can save your tooth, but frankly he wished he'd just had the stupid thing out straight away.

But to answer your OP, in his case it was the dentist who prescribed the stronger co-codamol, and he took that as well as the ibuprofen.

Good luck My sympathies.

FossilMum Fri 24-May-13 13:36:39

Sorry, X-post. Glad you've got something now!

dontwanttobefatandforty Fri 24-May-13 13:36:51

what mg are your paracetamol? How are you with co-codamol? If ok take 500mg instead of the paracetamol,

Orchidlady Fri 24-May-13 14:29:25

I have been given Naproxen and told to take paracetamol, along with Anti Bi' hopefully will start to work soon. Dentist flatly refused to prescribe anything, I was climbing the walls sobbing like a baby this morning. Not very impressed with them

Orchidlady Fri 24-May-13 14:29:46

dont 500 mg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now