Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My period is lasting much longer than usual this month. Why?

(7 Posts)
FiveSugarsPlease Fri 24-May-13 09:03:52

Hello.

My period has always came the same time each month, lasting 5-7 days.

I'm almost 24, not on any medication, not using any contraception, and definitely not pregnant (haven't had sex in almost 3 years!).

My period this month came as normal on 11th May. It's still here almost 2 weeks later.

It's not heavy, nor is it bright/fresh blood. There is no discharge either. It's brownish in colour, and has been for the past week, like it normally is when my period is coming to a stop. But normally the 'brownish period' last a few days, not seven.

I've also had a very mild stomach cramp for the past 5 days.

I'm just not sure what this could be.

I've changed my diet quite a lot over the past two months, cutting down to 1200-1500 cals a day. And i've also been exercising on my eliptical for about 30 minutes each day. I've gone from being slightly overweight (a BMI of 25.7) to a healthy weight (BMI of 23).

Surely this can't be what's causing my periods to behave so strangely? If so, why didn't it change anything last month when i was a few weeks in to this new diet? Why all of a sudden this month?

Would love some advice or some ideas on what this could be.

Many thanks.

FiveSugarsPlease Fri 24-May-13 09:34:49

So sorry for the TMI, but just went for a wee and the blood is still red. So it's fresh. Not heavy at all though. Just like medium-red urnine/watery. I just stupidly assumed it was brown because of my towel this morning.

There's a 2-3 week wait to see my GP. Is it just a case of waiting it out? Costing me a fortune in sanitary towels this month!

tabbycat15 Fri 24-May-13 09:38:59

I would say as it's a change to your normal cycle to see a Dr.

FiveSugarsPlease Fri 24-May-13 09:42:31

Thanks Tabby. The doctor can't see me for 2-3 weeks though, and i'm getting myself worried. My periods have been like clockwork since i was 13. Then all of a sudden, this.

tabbycat15 Fri 24-May-13 13:05:30

Maybe try ringing the health direct number for advice. I think you get to talk to a nurse & will advise you if you need to be seen sooner. It could be endo, fibroids or a polyp.
Ongoing bleeding does need investigating.

Madsometimes Fri 24-May-13 13:50:57

I would POAS just to rule out pregnancy. At the beginning of both my pregnancies I had a light brownish discharge, which went on for a while.

Madsometimes Fri 24-May-13 13:52:32

Oops, just saw that you cannot be pg. Silly me for not reading OP properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now