Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bursitis help please

(11 Posts)
Ilovemyself Thu 23-May-13 23:42:09

My wife had bursitis and SPD during pregnancy with our twins. The bursitis is back and the physio today said that it is the biggest one she has seen. It looks like it will need to drained or removed.

In the meantime can anyone give advice on how she can get some relief? The pain is unbearable at times.

Thanks

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 24-May-13 14:23:01

Can she rest it? Did the physio suggest ibuprofen? I'm not medical so can't advise whether it is all right to take if she is breast feeding.

A bag of something like frozen peas out of the freezer with a tea towel wrapped around it to hold against her knee could soothe it, apply for 10-15 minutes at a time.

AuntieStella Fri 24-May-13 14:26:19

Try voltarol (about the strongest thing OTC) or ask the doctor for something even stronger.

I found, both for SPD and serious joint issues, that Alexander Technique is really useful in teaching the lowest stress ways to move. It's not a quick fix, though; but perhaps worth it as there's been more than one bout.

Ilovemyself Fri 24-May-13 14:32:37

She has just had a call from the Dr. Has an appointment for a scan and has painkillers but that's it.

They have said because of the size they may drain it and then remove if necessary

Ilovemyself Fri 24-May-13 14:33:43

Damn. Repeating myself. Sorry.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 24-May-13 14:39:12

Where is the bursitis? And is there an underlying medical condition which is causing it?

I've had it in my hip joint and shoulder joint. Relief was best had by taking voltarol, and draping a microwave heat bag over the affected joint as well as leaving the laptop alone as using it aggravated things. Resting it as much as possible

Now that I have an underlying cause of the bursitis (lupus) and am on regular anti-inflammatories and DMARDs, life is much less painful.

Ilovemyself Fri 24-May-13 15:47:25

It is on both hips but only one is causing problems. It only came on during pregnancy

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 24-May-13 16:04:27

Sorry, re-read - always think of bursitis in relation to knee trouble. Apologies.

tb Sat 25-May-13 13:48:09

I have it in one hip. It's worse when my stress levels go up, and it's one of the (little?) known symptoms of an under-active thyroid.

There's a super technique of beaming radiowaves at the affected bursa - it's done by physios, so a course of physio might be worth a try.

For me it took several sessions, and then it suddenly worked.

Ilovemyself Sat 25-May-13 22:53:02

She has just had an MOT and the thyroid is normal. I will let her knows to push for the radio treatment. I just hope they fix it soon!

sashh Sun 26-May-13 05:52:11

My GP is suggesting steroid injections for mine. I'm already on daily tramadol for other things but this is the one waking me up at night.

Please let us know how she goes on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now