Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Teeth. Smoking is a cause of/an aggravating factor in gum disease

(7 Posts)
HairTodayShornTomorrow Thu 23-May-13 23:37:48

My new dentist tells me that smoking is a major factor in gum disease.

Has anyone else been told this?

fedupwithdeployment Thu 23-May-13 23:40:47

Yes. Common knowledge. I have stained teeth from too much tea but was also asked if I smoked. I don't. I am a slightly rabid anti smoker.

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 24-May-13 00:12:35

I don't smoke but I thought this was common knowledge.

MarcelineTheVampireQueen Fri 24-May-13 00:19:53

When I quit smoking 5 years ago, the worst thing was tooth pain. When I went to the dentist, I was told that damage was done by smoke and tar. I was feeling it now because blood was flowing slowly back into my gums. My teeth are a holy mess, severe gum disease led to loss of bone and tooth loss. My mouth is a mess. I haven't smiled in about 3 years. It's going to cost about ten grand to fix my mouth as I'm in Ireland and don't have dental cover here. There is a great poem called I wish I looked after me teeth. I really wish I had. Smoking has affected my family in many ways but I never thought it would affect my teeth. If you smoke, please stop, or at least see your dentist.

MrsMorton Fri 24-May-13 12:07:11

Smoker's gums are on the whole horrid to be honest, generalised bone loss and huge pockets full of pus and black tartar. Smoking causes the blood flow to the gums to reduce markedly so when people give up they notice they have bleeding gums and blame it on giving up smoking... nope they would always have bled if they could but they couldn't because they were being poisoned.

Added to this the risk of oral cancer is massive in smokers.

And can any smokers or ex smokers tell me why it's practically compulsory to have a fag just before you come into the surgery? Boak.

HairTodayShornTomorrow Fri 24-May-13 13:57:16

Interesting that it's common knowledge. I really don't remember hearing it before. Maybe I just blanked it out.

I am going to have another go at quitting. And will re-read MrsMorton's first paragraph when I feel myself weakening.

MrsMorton Fri 24-May-13 14:19:15

this condition is almost exclusive to smokers too.

Acute necrotising ulcerative gingivitis. Lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now