Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Constantly itchy cant take much more , help..

(21 Posts)
crazydrunkevilhamster Thu 23-May-13 22:27:08

For the past few months me & Ds have developed really itchy skin on our hands/back & legs .
Its bad enough that when we scratch it starts to bleed & we are covered in sores from this .
We have been to the Doctors numerous times & keep getting told to stick with the Epaderm wax which is making no difference at all .
Their has been no change in what soaps etc we use so it surely can't be that I hope plus everything I use is no parabans organic stuff due to Ds' Eczema , I have never had any skin complaints ever so im at a loss & my Doctor is as much use as a chocolate teapot.
My hands & back constantly feel like im crawling with bugs & I can't take anymore of it , the amount of itchy cream I have gone through is ridiculous and I can't rely on it forever for me & Ds

Please help me

Rikalaily Thu 23-May-13 22:28:50

Has the doctor mentioned scabies as a possibility?

amigababy Thu 23-May-13 22:31:39

did you get a new sofa? seem to remember a news story a while ago about sofas that had a chemical in them that caused allergies. Just the location of your itching seems to match contact points when seated.

amigababy Thu 23-May-13 22:37:05

they were Argos and Land of Leather sofas treated with a fungicide Di methyl Fumarate. sorry I can't link but if you Google it'll come up.

or a new bed or furniture or carpet that is new in the house.

FriedSprout Thu 23-May-13 22:37:21

I second the possibility of scabies.

Hyper contagious, very itchy and a nightmare to get rid of.

crazydrunkevilhamster Thu 23-May-13 22:57:23

Nope not Scabies as that was my first thought .
No new furniture etc either sad

MimsyBorogroves Thu 23-May-13 23:00:09

I've had undiagnosable itching for all of my adult life. I absolutely hate it, and it's unbearable sometimes.

Nothing has ever worked 100% but I find that, if it is stopping me sleeping overnight, a piriton, a couple of painkillers and a layer of a prescription cream called xepin can give me enough relief to sleep.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Thu 23-May-13 23:03:11

Has anyone been to your house that could have spilt something? Has ds fe breezed the furniture without your knowledge? Start putting all your washing in an extra rinse. Do a maintainence wash on your washing machine in case there's a soap build up and it's not rinsing as well.

Even though there's been no change to products you are using it doesn't rule out allergy as they can come on suddenly. Try new ones but stick with vegan/paraben /sls free ones

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Thu 23-May-13 23:07:35

Also could it be fleas? They live in grass waiting for hosts if you live near open areas with long grass it's easy to transport them in. Flea allergy ????

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 23-May-13 23:09:28

Any bites or rashes at all?

Do you shower or bath? I guess shower...

crazydrunkevilhamster Thu 23-May-13 23:16:15

Nope no bites , how do I do a maintenance wash ?
I very rarely have people visit loner
Its not the washing powder as I've tried all sorts of different ones and their has been no change at all , Thanks

crazydrunkevilhamster Thu 23-May-13 23:16:50

I shower , Ds bathes

NigelYerABawbag Thu 23-May-13 23:25:18

how do you know its not scabies?
docs can and do fail to recognise it and it can present atypically. I'd try treatment anyway tbh.

crazydrunkevilhamster Thu 23-May-13 23:31:42

I have seen 2 different doctors at my Gp numerous times & I mentioned scabies and neither I or Ds have any of the signs of Scabies

LilyAmaryllis Thu 23-May-13 23:37:10

I would ask the GP for a referral to a dermatologist. I wish I had pushed them for that many months earlier than I did. Worth a try.

crazydrunkevilhamster Thu 23-May-13 23:45:11

Thanks lily will do

bassetfeet Fri 24-May-13 15:23:53

My OH had this last year . Just awful and we do sympathise. No sleep .
in the interim of waiting for dermatology appt we scoured the internet and found that oatmeal baths help. And they did.
Do google oatmeal baths for itching as there a lot of articles out there .
It works .
Put a mug or so cheap porridge oats into a blender and then mix with hot running water to milky consistency in the bath . Soak for 15 minutes . It is incredibly soothing for the skin and works .
hope this helps while you wait for diagnosis .

Sh1ney Sat 25-May-13 23:28:13

You say you have no signs of scabies

Umm you do . Your description screams scabies. There's a specific treatment for it . I'm surprised you've not been prescribed it already

SmileItsSunny Sun 26-May-13 09:25:26

I get very itchy legs, and it appears I have some sort of citrus intolerance...

bonzo77 Sun 26-May-13 09:35:49

Have you tried a liquid detergent called surcare? It's the only thing that stopped my itching. It's not great for your machine so I run it with cheap bio powder then empty on 90deg once every few weeks.

Also I stopped using fabric conditioner. I wash with dove soap but just my pits and bum, everywhere else water only.

Then lots of moisturiser, just diprobase or aqueous cream.

I think scabies often starts between fingers and toes, and they leave tiny white lines where they have burrowed in. This can look like cracking and peeling of the skin.

crazydrunkevilhamster Sun 26-May-13 09:51:34

Sh1ney If it was Scabies then one of the Doctors would of said so !

Thanks basset will try that

bonzo Yep I have tried that one and it makes no difference, thanks though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now