Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tonsillitis

(10 Posts)
WeAreSix Thu 23-May-13 18:00:38

I'm feeling really woe is me!

I've had sore throat for a couple of days, but last night my temp spiked and I was really shivery / shaky.

This morning I felt even worse, temp high still but felt like warmed up shit. Got out of bed, felt dizzy and promptly collapsed to the floor. I gave my poor DH a bit of a fright!!

I've got antibiotics from GP today but I need to get better and fast. I've been asleep most of today and I'm concerned that I'm on my own with 9mo DD tomorrow and I'll have to do school run for the older DDs.

Any MN wisdom on how to shake this and fast?

Madamecastafiore Thu 23-May-13 18:04:06

Hydrogen peroxide dilute 1:5 with water and gargle. Tastes like shit but I promise you will feel better much quicker than with antibiotics.

WeAreSix Thu 23-May-13 18:08:48

You can really put that stuff in your mouth??!!

Madamecastafiore Thu 23-May-13 18:21:31

Yep, tastes hideous but is basically safe bleach. Will oxidise Bacteria causing fizzing which is truly horrendous but it does really work!

WeAreSix Thu 23-May-13 18:37:37

I'm desperate so will try anything!

Will this be one of those MN revelations like cutting pizza with scissors?

The high temp is probably the worst tbh, amazing how ill tonsillitis makes me. It's almost as bad as having glandular fever - 20 years on and I can still clearly remember it.

Ethlinn Thu 23-May-13 18:45:57

You can try putting salt in water (2-3 teaspoons in one glass of water) and gargle. I had tonsillitis 12 times in 2011, so really tried it all. Also home made onion syrup. It is disgusting though (and smells...).

WeAreSix Thu 23-May-13 18:57:32

Onion syrup? That's new to me too smile

Madamecastafiore Thu 23-May-13 21:00:18

Wearesix when you have to spit out your saliva because its too painful to swallow and you have become immune to the antibiotics after constantly being prescribed them you will try anything.

WeAreSix Fri 24-May-13 09:13:31

Definitely too painful to swallow saliva. Ouchee. Strangely toast is ok - it's a bit like scratching an itch that can't be reached!

Temp seems to have settled so far today, thank goodness!

DiskFix Fri 24-May-13 09:39:23

Gargle with Corsodyl every couple of hours - a trick recommended to me by a German chemist once I was in dispair, home alone with my baby. It's a really strong disinfecting mouthwash for gums but works wonders on tonsils. It used to taste like bleach but now there's a new alcohol-free version which is much better. It will stop the infection. Also, wear a silk scarf to keep your neck warm.

I used to get several tonsillitis a year and they have ruined quite a few holidays - you usually get them in spring and summer, when you are exposed to dry air for many hours (air conditionins, sleeping in a draft etc.). The best thing is to use C. at the onset, as soon as you feel your throat is irritated. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now