Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Best contraception choices with migraine?

(11 Posts)
HadALittleFaithBaby Thu 23-May-13 14:16:06

I've recently had a baby smile Don't want to rush into having another...before we TTC'd I took the progesterone only pill. I'd rather not take it again because its a bit of a faff taking it everyday and I'll also be working some nights which makes it harder to take it at the same time every day. I'm looking at various options but I did see some aren't suitable for migraine sufferers with aura (I get these) and some make periods heavier (mine are on the heavy side). CBA with condoms all the time. Any suggestions?!

SeashellHoarder Thu 23-May-13 20:14:59

Get a coil! No faffing around with pills every day.
I have migraines and it worked well for me.
Make sure you get it done somewhere they check it with ultrasound as I've heard a lot of coils going wrong.

SeashellHoarder Thu 23-May-13 20:17:14

Oh, I meant to say it also can help with heavy periods.

Hth

LadyIsabellaWrotham Thu 23-May-13 20:23:00

If you were happy with the POP apart from the "taking it at the same time every day is too much faff" issue then implant (Implanon is the main brand I think) seems like a no brainer. It's by far the most reliable form of contraception, and it's a real "fit and forget" option. Some people have bad side effects, but that's unlikely if you were OK with POP because its the same stuff.

HadALittleFaithBaby Thu 23-May-13 21:42:22

seashell which coil? Iud?

I like the idea of either I guess - faff free and reversible if I don't get on with them! I'm off to my GP for my 6 week check up tomorrow so will ask about both options then. Thanks!

SeashellHoarder Fri 24-May-13 14:57:11

I had a mirena, I don't know about the others

Chubfuddler Fri 24-May-13 14:59:00

The migraine does the job surely?

MrsLettuce Fri 24-May-13 14:59:55

Copper coil for me.

MrsLettuce Fri 24-May-13 15:02:52

Oh, and I had mine fitted postpartum ASAP. At 10 or 12 weeks, can't remember. Was BF so it had ages to settle in before my periods came back, I've had no increase in the heaviness of my periods.

Is this your first DC? Anecdotally, quite a lot of women seem to have less trouble with their periods after DC.

HadALittleFaithBaby Sat 25-May-13 06:27:18

Yes she's my first. I like the idea of better periods. I'm bf so hope they won't come back for a bit anyway!

50shadesofbrown Sat 25-May-13 06:41:28

I have hemiplegic migraines (mimic a stroke in several ways so non medication is really not an option) & I used to have an implant. Was very good but it took a long time for the hormones to come out of my system after removal so made TTC very hard. Post DC I have got a Mirena coil. Still get occasional spotting (had it about 4 months) but periods basically gone, no pain, & no noticeable side effects as far as I can tell ( although there can be).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now