Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Think I might have the start of flu, should I try to keep away from baby?

(3 Posts)
PopGoesTheStoat Wed 22-May-13 20:08:46

or will she have caught it already if she's going to? I feel so Ill, but she seems ok. It only came on suddenly this afternoon though.
DD is pretty much ebf but should I ask my mum if she is able to come to stay and look after her between feeds to minimise holding her?

cathan Thu 23-May-13 16:38:52

Sorry to say, she will have already been exposed to it by now - you're infectious for at least 24 hours before you have symptoms. On the plus side, being ebf, she may not catch it or may get it more mildly than you do. Breastmilk is magic stuff and continually adjusts the colostrum content relative to bugs you've been in contact with - and not just in the early weeks, as was previously thought, but for as long as you continue to feed. Right now, your body is reacting to the virus you've caught so your milk will contain antibodies to it which should help your baby not to catch it. Of course, she may catch it anyway, but I don't think minimising contact would help - besides making you both miserable. Getting your mum to help look after her while you're feeling dreadful is still a good idea though! Hope this helps.

Footle Thu 23-May-13 18:05:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now