Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How can I help my shredded tongue?

(6 Posts)
rainbowslollipops Wed 22-May-13 08:03:41

Had a fairly bad seizure yesterday. Slipped from one seizure straight into another so my tongue is really feeling the pain today. It's swollen and making it hard to eat properly through pain. My mum always told me that mouthwash can help because of the cleaning products in it it'll basically sooth it quicker. Anyone have any other ideas?

hedgefund Wed 22-May-13 08:05:08

ow sad is bonjela any good? i use that whan i bite my tongue (which i do alot lately!)

Imnotaslimjim Wed 22-May-13 08:06:58

I agree with te bonjela, or suck ice to ease the swelling. hope it heals quickly

rainbowslollipops Wed 22-May-13 08:07:47

I hadn't thought of bonjella. I could use that during the day just before eating instead of using mouthwash.

gingeroots Wed 22-May-13 09:36:16

oh that sounds horrid ,even the smallest thing ( and your's definitely doesn't come into the small category ) in the mouth feels huge and can't be ignored.

I would try a mouthwash of warm water with salt dissolved in it ,I think a teaspoon to a glass is recommended .
It sounds ouchy but it isn't ,something to do with that soloution mimicing your body's natural state .

When my brother was recovering from oral surgery on his tongue ,dissovalable aspirin in a small amount of warm water washed over the area just before eating dulled the pain enough to get food down . Personally I'd not be sure about aspirin on a wound .

Finally Cordsyl do an alchol free mouthwash wish is less stingy than the normal one .

Wishing you better soon .

bulletproofgerbil Wed 22-May-13 11:21:51

That sounds awful. Have you tried Difflam spray? It's quite dear at about £6/7 but my Mum had it when she was having radiotherapy for throat cancer and it was the most effective thing she tried for soothing her sore mouth.
Hope you feel much better v soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now