Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

DS1 failed hearing test - should I worry?

(8 Posts)
tortoiseshell Tue 23-May-06 16:58:48

He's nearly 5, this was the one they do in schools. The letter just said 'we were unable to get a satisfactory result' and they're going to rescreen in 4-6 weeks. Is this something lots of them fail or should I be panicking? (Tending towards the panic atm!!!!).

Thanks! (I should add, I was very surprised as I don't believe he exhibits any loss of hearing.)

gothicmama Tue 23-May-06 17:06:24

dd also failed she missed one beep and has since by dx with slight glue ear although I was told a lot of children fail and then pass with no problems

SSSandy Tue 23-May-06 17:07:26

No, don't panic. It's very difficult to get kids to give correct answers. They want to "get it right" and don't understand the point of it. I actually complained in writing about the way the eye test was performed with dd aged 5 (requisite pre-schooling test where we are) but I was present. They now no longer do the particular test I complained about (smug icon)

Hearing tests are difficult. Did he just have to indicate when he heard a sound? Dd did one like that and I was present. Tester pressed a button and dd had to raise a hand if she heard anything. She was watching the woman's hand the whole time so she knew when to raise a hand. Not the least bit conclusive.

If ds has a serious hearing problem, wouldn't you have picked up on it a bit already?

tortoiseshell Tue 23-May-06 18:02:58

Thanks for your replies - ds has very waxy ears and I wonder if that is something to do with it. It was a hearing test where they wear headphones and had to put a die on a lid(?) if they heard something (or at least that's how ds1 explained it.

I'm sure he doesn't have a serious hearing problem, but I wonder if he missed either very high or low sounds.

tortoiseshell Tue 23-May-06 19:57:26

bump for any evening people...

foxinsocks Tue 23-May-06 20:04:00

I don't know how it works but dd managed to pass that test despite having mild hearing loss in one ear and moderate to severe in the other!

I would let them go ahead and rescreen - if you had taken him to the GP and asked to do a hearing test it would take bleeding ages to get a referral.

See what happens at the next test - if he fails it again, then at least he is in the system if he needs any further attention.

FWIW, dd's ENT consultant told me that if he came and visited any reception or yr1 class, half the children would have some sort of congestion in their ears but in most children, it clears on its own. So even if he does have glue ears then it may be that it clears up before you know it.

foxinsocks Tue 23-May-06 20:05:11

I meant dd passed the test they did at school (but I don't think it was as complicated as yours!)

TwoToTango Tue 23-May-06 20:07:21

I have just had the same with my ds. he failed the first test - I did panic a bit but I range the nurse and she said no need to worry they always get quite a lot that don't pass because of background noise, just not being in the mood etc. When he was re-tested he failed again so I panicked even more! I rang the nurse again and she said that it was only one noise that he didn't hear in one ear (again she commented that school halls are not the ideal place to test due to background noise etc). This was in March and she said that I would have to wait until June for appt.(still waiting). I mentioned it to his teacher and asked if he seems that he is having any problems let me know - so far he is fine.
If you are worried I would ring the school nurse - mine was very good and really put my mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: