Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Do I have Black Death, or should I just stop watching House?

(8 Posts)
bran Tue 23-May-06 16:51:23

I've been knackered since Saturday but been putting it down to a combination of dh being away and coping on my own and an incipient cold/persistent mild sinusitis. Yesterday I had a sore throat and swollen glands and was thirsty all day. Today I'm not so tired or thirsty but my tongue is swollen and has sore lumpy things at the back of it.

Any ideas what this could be? I suspect that a mucus drip down the back of my throat from my sinus problem is causing it, but I'm not sure.

All treatment suggestions considered, including white/black magic to lift curses (lots of other little non-health things going wrong too, possibly from tiredness).

bran Tue 23-May-06 17:21:47

Sorry, have I disgusted everyone with too much info? Off to get ds from nursery now, I'll check and see if they've been having an outbreak of something nasty there that I might have caught.

expatinscotland Tue 23-May-06 17:23:25

'Black Death' or bubonic plague, is still around. But it's very, very rare.

Sounds like sinusitis, which I'm all too familiar with.

poppiesinaline Tue 23-May-06 17:58:43

LOL Just before reading this, DS1 asked if the Bubonic Plague still exists in the world today so we 'asked Jeeves'. It does, but dont panic bran, if caught quick enough it can be treated with antibiotics

DumbledoresGirl Tue 23-May-06 18:00:13

tonsilitus?

sparklemagic Tue 23-May-06 18:18:41

It'd be worth the plague if it meant Dr House would come to my bedside

Seriously, could be tonsiliitis Bran. Get thee to a (boring but more polite than House) doctor if it hasn't cleared up, they may give antibiotics to clear it!

bran Tue 23-May-06 19:54:07

Do you get a sore tongue from tonsilitis then, a couple of the bumps at the back look quite bubol-like as though they might have fluid in them? When I picked ds up from nursery he had a sore throat like mine was yesterday (I think), he wasn't interested in eating anything hard and only wanted avocado and yogurt and drank lots of water. So perhaps it's just a virus. I'll see if I can have a look at his tongue tomorrow.

Logic tells me that it's something simple, I've only been back at work for 2 weeks so I've probably caught something on the Tube. I do find the House theory of searching for the least probable thing and that'll be what the patient has quite appealing though. And there is a family history of unusual diseases so I'm probably due for something quite rare (my dad had the first recorded case of Legionnaires' in Ireland).

MrsBadger Tue 23-May-06 20:07:00

sounds like it's a virus - tonislitis doesn't normally come with runny/bunged nose.

you'd be one of the people House orders out of his clinic with maximum sarcasm!

meanwhile, don't poke the lumps (prob just a side-effect of your body fighting the virus), take paracetamol for the pain and to bring your temp down, hot lemon and honey etc if you fancy it, and lots and lots of fluids. Vit C won't hurt either - juice, satsumas, fizzy dissolvey things or tablets as you like.
Hope you feel better soon!

If it hasn't gone in a week, go bug your dr

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: