Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pile banding and colonoscopy tomorrow, what to expect?

(4 Posts)
Flibbertyjibbet Tue 21-May-13 15:04:09

I was going to name change for this but can't be arsed (ha ha)

Tomorrow after 8 years I am finally having my childbirth-induced piles done. But I have no idea what to expect other than to turn up at 12.30 at the hosp, nil by mouth from 8am.

Its one of those new appointment thingies where I'm at a private hosp but as an nhs patient. I am wondering if that has something to do with feeling completely in the dark. I rang the hosp to ask a question the other day and got fobbed off by receptionist just repeating that I was to turn up at 12.30.

I am having colonoscopy as well, as part of the preventative thing that my NHS trust is really big on, I have no signs of bowel cancer, just horrible piles.

So, anyone had either/both of these procedures done, can you tell me what to expect? Do I turn up in normal clothes and get given a gown, how long does each take, will I be in pain, will I have any local pain relief during/after etc? (Do you get given an enema first or anything like that?)

I am disappointed that the only info I have is a letter telling me that any visitors will have to pay for their own drinks and snacks, and absolutely nothing else at all. Whenever I've had anything done on the nhs there always seems to be a 'talking through' in advance.

All info, puns and any thing else anyone else wants to mention, will be very much appreciated smile

Oh, and the tmi bit. I'm perimenopausal and there's a distinct chance that I will start my period tomorrow. I don't want to try and cancel as I've been waiting 4 months already for this. Will the consultant just be used to that as an occupational hazard in dealing with women's bottoms or am I supposed to say something? Was just going to use a tampon.

Can't believe I've put that info out on the world wide web....

swooosh Thu 23-May-13 04:47:54

Was about to typ up a big reply but see you've already had it done! Hope it went well

LoveBeingUpAt4InTheMorning Thu 23-May-13 05:08:15

Hope it all went ok

LoveBeingUpAt4InTheMorning Thu 23-May-13 05:08:25

Hope it all went ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now