Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Chickenpox- difficult question for health experts!

(13 Posts)
DumbledoresGirl Tue 23-May-06 16:10:24

Ok CP is rife in ds3's playgroup and surely it is only a matter of time until ds3 gets it, especially as we are going on holiday next week.

I have been thinking about it. CP seems to come out at certain times of the year - I remember when my other three got it, it was a february and there were spotty kids all over the place.

At other times, no-one seems to have it.

So my question is this: what happens to the CP virus at those times when no-one seems to have it? Where does it go? How does it come back?

chapsmum Tue 23-May-06 16:15:24

<<lowers voice to a whisper>>
I heard it lived in a cave in wales...

DumbledoresGirl Tue 23-May-06 16:18:54

PMSL

Is that what you health professionals are told?

SaintGeorge Tue 23-May-06 16:21:36

It is seasonal like a lot of viruses.

It is still around all the time but the seasonal peaks in late autumn/winter/early spring are caused by the number of people in enclosed spaces. You just don't hear about the off-peak cases as much because they are more isolated in number and location.

DumbledoresGirl Tue 23-May-06 16:30:59

But right now, it is going round playgroup and the infatns school. Surely that is as enclosed a community in the summer as it is in the spring/other times?

SaintGeorge Tue 23-May-06 16:34:14

Not so much in summer though. Around here the kids are still pretty much confined to the classrooms and the hall at breaktime. In better weather they will be outside much, much more.

poppiesinaline Tue 23-May-06 16:44:13

theres a chicken pox pixie who sprinkles it during the night when you arent looking. During the summer she is on holiday in some dreary country, sprinkling it there instead.

chapsmum Tue 23-May-06 16:44:58

I have been educated to the highest level and I firmly belive thatif it doesnt live in a cave then I am a monkeys uncle!

Bozza Tue 23-May-06 16:46:39

It went round DS's nursery during the summer. I didn't send him to a party the first Saturday in August because the girl had it and I was worried about baby DD getting it. DS ended up with it mid September and DD early October. It was the same outbreak. He went to a party at the beginning of September where the little boy had it. DS was actually incubating it when he had op for grommets and adenoidectomy.

DumbledoresGirl Tue 23-May-06 16:57:18

Hmmm, so some people are saying it is around all the time, and others say it goes on holiday.. Well I just hope it doesn't come on our holiday!

SaintGeorge Tue 23-May-06 16:59:08

I think barring the cave and the pixie dust we all pretty much agree it is around all the time - just more prominent during the 'season' IYSWIM.

DumbledoresGirl Tue 23-May-06 17:01:05

Oh well, I might just have to do my part in spreading the virus from the south west to the north west, so look out those of you up there!

Aero Tue 23-May-06 17:01:42

rofl @ cm - you are a hoot!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: