Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Cost of dentistry - would you get a second opinion?

(5 Posts)
pacinofan Tue 23-May-06 15:42:11

Dh's crown fell out last night, his front tooth. Luckily I managed to get an emergency appointment with our dentist when he got back from work this afternoon. Turns out he will need either:

bridgework at around £1200 (NHS price)
OR
an implant at around £1800

The implant, though more expensive, is looking like the more favourable option. Question is, is it worth getting a second quote from another dentist? Have already spent £2000 on his dentistry 2 years ago, he actually needs more dentistry doing than what is described above but we have delayed doing it because of the expense, among other things. But this front crown will have to be done, no question. Is this the going rate for dentistry, I can't imagine everybody can fund this sort of thing?

Tarynsmummy Tue 23-May-06 15:53:47

Found this http://www.nhs.uk/England/Dentists/DentalCharges.cmsx
Sorry can't do link thing. Anyway its about charges and stuff for dentistry coz its changed. Hope it is of some help

ComeOVeneer Tue 23-May-06 15:58:43

There are now 3 bands of nhs treatment £15.50, £42.40 and £189. A patient will never pay more than that for nhs dental treatment. A bridge will fall into the £189 category. (I am a nhs dentist btw).

lulabelle Tue 23-May-06 21:14:11

ComeoVeneer, I hope you don't mind me asking but I go to a private dentist that accept NHS patients (I'm nhs patient) I recently had to have a filling in my third tooth back I suffered through the treatment only to find I had the most awful silver filling, I was then told that white fillings are only done privately so I had to make another appointment, suffer the agony again and pay £70 for the privilege!! I can't change dentists as I can't get in anywhere else, was he right to do this? I also need a new crown and he says that they don't come on the nhs eithe, is that right too?

ComeOVeneer Wed 24-May-06 12:03:08

The nhs don't pay for white fillings on back teeth only for silver ones so he did the right thing by providing a silver one, although he perhaps should have explained this first to give you the option of a private one. Some types of crown are not avaliable on the nhs either so I would enquire more about the crown if I were you HTH.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: