Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this a virus? Or hormones (warning - I'm 48!)

(6 Posts)
thebestpossibletaste Sun 19-May-13 17:06:07

I've just finished my period on Friday and have had a sort of migraine most of the time with it (I'm 48 and these days get migraines quite often around my period). However, I've been feeling really tired and had stomach ache all week too, today I felt really dizzy when I got up and still do and am just so tired. But the headache isn't as bad as it's been. Is this a virus or just hormones? I'm meant to be at work tomorrow but could just do with time off to recover. I only work part time and might try and swap days. Meant to be going out tomorrow night too, have concert tickets. It's been going on for a week and I'm just fed up. I eat healthily, don't have caffeine and drink lots of water. Any suggestions what I could do to feel better?

yegodsandlittlefishes Sun 19-May-13 17:23:12

Go to your doctor and ask for blood test for iron levels, vit. B, thyroid etc. and find out what it is. smile

'Just hormones' could be the thyroid not working properly (especially if you are also generally a bit slow-going and feel cold when others don't.) To me it sounds a lot like low iron levels, especially with the headaches, but I am no doctor.

thebestpossibletaste Sun 19-May-13 17:27:31

Thanks. I actually had blood test for iron, thyroid etc about two or three months ago and they came back fine.

digerd Sun 19-May-13 18:36:28

I was 48 when overnight during the day, I changed. I had been weeding the large garden in the sun in summer, and had a rest for 5 minutes. Got up and couldn't get going like the car was stuck in 1st gear. It carried on with heavy legs and a muzzy brain but no headaches. It was the beginning of the menopause for me. I eventually did go on the HRT, but was still getting my periods.

The symptoms disappeared.

Acrackinthefabricoftime Sun 19-May-13 19:02:55

Have they checked your oestrogen levels or whatever they check to see if you are peri-menopausal? I feel like this and am just waiting for blood tests for ferritin, thyroid, hormone levels etc to come back.

I have no idea what's going on and for the last 2 or 3 weeks have felt utterly exhausted and ill (very headachey all the time) and fuzzy headed. I am definitely peri-menopausal though, what with all the hot flushes/sweats and have some HRT to start taking when my next period begins, but I wanted to check there's nothing apart from this going on.

thebestpossibletaste Sun 19-May-13 19:08:06

Well I did ask them to check for that when I had the blood tests but the gp chose not to! Think I'll have to go back. I've no energy at all, just walking the dog wears me out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now