Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cancer - have you heard of a cure via a HEALER?

(14 Posts)
dotnet Sat 18-May-13 18:54:05

A good friend of mine has aggressive cancer. Has already been offered a 'time frame' if she wanted to have some idea of how long she's got left (she didn't.) She's going in for more medical treatment, but has been told this may prolong her life, but can't cure her; she's run out of curative options.

My friend is talking about going for healing. Personally I think it's quite a good idea - even if it's only comforting her to know she's exploring every possible route, even if it's a waste of money, I think it's worth trying. She's very grounded, & knows her chances of success are negligible.

Does anyone know ANYONE whose cancer WAS reversed by a healer? I don't - but it would be nice to know if, very rarely, it does happen.

FreddieMisaGREATshag Sat 18-May-13 18:54:53

No.

I do know someone who refused treatment on the advice of a healer and they died.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sat 18-May-13 18:56:48

Please visit the website 'What's the Harm"

dotnet Sat 18-May-13 19:03:25

Have had a quick look at the 'faith healing' section of the website, TondelayoSchwarzkopf, but the examples I read are dissimilar from my friend's situation. She's not thinking instead of, she's thinking complementary to^- and she ^does know that, if she goes in for faith healing, it's a very long shot.

Leverette Sat 18-May-13 21:11:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Stase Sat 18-May-13 21:18:33

Have a look at Penny Brohn Cancer Care for good, evidenced-based complementary cancer care. I can't recommend it enough. It might be helpful for your friend to look at.

reelingintheyears Sat 18-May-13 21:21:26

Leverette,quite.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sun 19-May-13 09:01:43

OK it may not doing her any medical harm if she approaches it with that attitude. However, putting it harshly...She'll be spending her last precious days on earth with a fraud who will take her money off her. I would rather spend it with the people I love having a good time.

I'm really sorry your friend is going through this by the way. It must be devastating and the desire to try anything completely understandable. flowers

Elibean Sun 19-May-13 11:43:52

I don't know anyone whose cancer was reversed by a healer. Nor would I expect anyone's cancer to be reversed by a healer. And I would look out (on her behalf) for any sign that my friend was being badgered, pressured, or financially discomfited by any practitioner - healer or otherwise.

And if a teeny part of her is hoping for medical miracles, sadly, I would be standing by prepared to pick up the pieces.

But if she is going for spiritual help and not medical, or if she finds that she is getting that sort of comfort in spite of not getting better physically, when she goes - then personally I wouldn't judge for a minute. Frankly, it is her journey and not anyone else's and the idea of dissing her choice of support wouldn't sit comfortably with me at all.

I'm so sorry the outlook is bleak, dotnet, and I wish you and your friend well.

Pandemoniaa Sun 19-May-13 14:18:57

I don't know anyone whose cancer has been cured by a healer. As someone has said upthread, if this were possible, it'd be offered by the NHS.

However, I do know that people will often jump at any opportunity to try other options when conventional routes are not available. If healing would give her comfort, rather than false hope, it may not be the worst idea. But I'd be very cautious about just how much this will cost and whether she's being strung along. However, it's a dreadful journey to face (I know this personally) and I do understand why someone would consider an alternative treatment.

specialsubject Sun 19-May-13 22:42:35

healers and psychics are one of two types:

the fools, who believe it
the frauds, who don't but still peddle it.

your friend is a free agent and how she spends her time is up to her. Personally I wouldn't waste a second on either type.

sashh Mon 20-May-13 06:57:40

If she really believes there is some form of spiritual healing then contact your local church and ask them for prayers.

It won't make any difference, but might help her feel thought about and would cost nothing.

CPtart Mon 20-May-13 07:05:19

No, but as a district nurse I remember visiting two people who believed in that sort of thing. In additional to conventional treatment one had crystals with healing powers strategically placed all round the house, the other did try a healer.
Both sadly died.

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 20-May-13 08:47:02

I think she might be better off looking into Mindfulness meditation which focusses one's mind on the present moment so that you a really living in the present rather than looking back or forwards-the main idea is that we are only truly alive in the present - it can be very calming and peaceful, and I think your friend would feel the benefit.
I try to practice this and in the past have found it incredibly calming and relaxing - it would be much better than vainly searching for a miraculous cure.There's lots on the internet about it- look for Jon Kabat Zinn .
I'm certainly not a follower of airy fairy crystally woo but this is sound stuff. I have stage 4 cancer btw. and am feeling quite calm and peaceful.
lots of good wishes to your friend and to you for supporting her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now