Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lower back pain and constipation - linked?

(5 Posts)
ReallyNotAPooTroll Sat 18-May-13 17:09:03

Regular here and think that i'll be obvious so namechanging.

I've been taking iron tablets on and off for the last few months due to low iron stores. I've been stopping and starting because I've been struggling with constipation and have been attempting to get my diet, dose and time right to minimise constipation. I've not managed so far.

Last weekend after taking the tablets all week I started with a very sore lower back. I'd been passing very small, hard motions in the days before. I have a slight bulge (probably a rectocele I think but haven't seen the doc about it) that I have to support when bearing down.

The lower back pain worsened overnight and I felt very uncomfortably full but couldn't go. Duclolax didn't work overnight, so I took loads of lactulose and used some glycerin suppositories to go. The pain lessened but I was walking all hobbled over.

I was away from home this week and have managed by using ibuprofen to help me walk and lactulose . I had a few motions but they're long and thin.

I'm worried I've got a blockage. I've tried Dulcolax a few more times with no success (usual). Today I've had some success with lactulose and a long stint on the loo and the pain is subsiding.

Is the constipation and back pain linked? Does anyone have any tips? I'm at the docs on monday evening but I'd like to fully clear out the pipes to see if the back discomfort goes away.

Thanks. I'm not the poo troll. No. Really, I'm not!

mrsmobbs Sat 18-May-13 19:44:58

Yes the 2 are connected as it happened to me with iron tablets. I did not take any laxatives as worried would be too strong, so had strong coffee and lots of fruit. Sorted itself out within a day or so but I was like you very uncomfortable. If you can manage fruit or yoghurt give it a try

MrsBonkers Sat 18-May-13 23:21:14

Definitely believe they're linked.
I got something called oxypowder from eBay and it works wonders for constipation without being a laxative.

NannyPlumIsMyMum Sat 18-May-13 23:30:26

Yes they are linked.

Stewed rhubarb is good for constipation. Also prune juice. Try those before before laxatives.

ReallyNotAPooTroll Sun 19-May-13 12:39:39

Thanks all.

Managed to 'go' normally this morning after taking 30ml of lactulose before bed. Pain gone so took DD to the park and had a run about. Walking tall rather than hobbling!

I had loads of fibre in my diet; bran flakes, whole bread meal, dates, raisan etc. but I'll take some fibogel for the next few days and stay off the iron tablets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now