Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Woke up with mucus plug on windpipe - couldnt breathe!

(8 Posts)
NeverBeenToMe Sat 18-May-13 12:21:17

This was about 1am - finally managed to get a breath after making the weirdest noises trying to, and shift the mucus after about the longest 30-40 seconds. I actually thought I was going to die. Fucking terrified about going back to sleep tonight!

Anyone else had this? Any tips how to deal with it? Have googled, and read about GERD/GORD but I'm pretty sure it wasn't acid reflux - just mucus. Gross. And did I mention bloody scary.

shitmagnet Sat 18-May-13 14:57:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NeverBeenToMe Sat 18-May-13 15:24:24

No, no cold. Got some nasal drops and stuff to put in a steam inhaler. Googled lots - it felt like how laryngospasm is described.

KurriKurri Sat 18-May-13 17:34:22

I had laryngospasm after an general anaesthetic - and it sounds exactly as you describe - it was fucking terrifying, and I was surrounded by medics, so must have been worse for you, you poor thing.

I have no idea what you can do about it, but if it's any consolation I've only ever had it the once, and I don't think you would actually die from it, I think it is a reaction that rights itself. It just makes you panic stricken when it happens.

I think being propped up well in bed is supposed to help, so maybe you could add a few more pillows smile

Showtime Sun 19-May-13 00:06:51

Agreed, sleep sitting up if you feel it might happen again. GP told me it's easier to breathe if there's some air movement, so opening a window could help, or switching on a fan.

thegreylady Sun 19-May-13 15:27:23

Sleep propped up on several pillows-I use 4 to make a sloping back rest.It really helps.The alternative is to raise the head of the bed.

NeverBeenToMe Mon 20-May-13 06:24:25

Thanks for the replies smile I made it through the night - common sense dictated it was a one off, but I got nose drops and did a menthol steam inhalation at bedtime too. I think my post was a stealth request for a comforting handhold - Im an LP (where the L stands for lonely as well as Lone) and sometimes you need to share these scary things!

gingeroots Mon 20-May-13 10:38:10

NeverBeen I have larynxspasms ( as does my mum ) and they're very frightening indeed .

You have all my sympathy ,horrid being on your own .

I think you should visit GP and discuss with them .Waking in the night with spasms or choking in your throat are what they call red flag symptoms that require investigation .

IME you don't get a mucus plug or food or anything with this type of spasm ,though of course in your case it's quite possible that a lump of phlegm irritated your larynx and made it go into spasm .

I have also had problems ( now being treated ) with food getting stuck in my throat . The food was getting stuck because acid reflux had damaged my throat . The spasm and food sticking are different though I think connected because the acid can also eventually irritate the larynx .

You can get mucus if the oesphagous is irritated by acid reflux and acid reflux can be "silent" where you don't realise you have it .

Sleeping propped up will help a lot .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now